Chapter 109 The Secret Agent

The road to success is always under construction.

-Lily Tomlin

Blake

Emma almost gave me a heart attack when she walked up to those Seekers, but she had to have some sort of plan. She's not one to be reckless. And my suspicions are confirmed when I hear her call the Seeker by name. This is the one that took her.

I narrow my eyes when she walks away with him, but I know she's safe enough with Burns there. It gives me the opportunity to take the boy to safety. He hardly struggles. Watching his parents die must have shocked him, but I don't have time to dwell on it now. We have to get back to the van first.

"There you go," I say while lifting the kid in the back of the van. I climb in after him and close the door. I'm not sure what to say to him. He's like what, Six? Seven? It's been ages since I had that age and back then, my only concern was getting out of bed on time to watch my favorite cartoon.

The boy has crawled into the farthest corner of the van, his knees pulled up to his chest.

"They'll be back soon," I say in an attempt to comfort him. He doesn't respond, but his lip starts to tremble. I know what that means. "You want to eat something?" I ask. If he's eating he can't cry. "I think we have cookies here. Chocolate chip?" I'm sure Emma will forgive me given the circumstances.

The boy shakes his head. His face is awfully pale. I sigh. I hope Emma and Burns will be back soon. I don't know what to do with this kid.

Another thought comes to mind. When Burns comes back, this kid is going to freak out.

"Look, you're safe with us, kid. We have a place to live, with other humans. You can stay there too. You'll like it. It's like a bat cave. You like superheroes? I know I did when I had your age. We have our own superhero. He was with us too, remember the tall guy? Just wait until you meet him."

The boy doesn't respond, but he glances at me every now and then. I suppose it's a start.

There's a soft rapping against the side of the van. "Blake?" I hear Emma's soft voice and I open the door. They look defeated.

"You two alright?" I ask. I frown when Burns passes me a gun. "How did you get this?" I ask stunned, "did you kill them?"

"He gave it to us," Emma says, "that one Seeker... he was the one..." her voice quivers, but I know enough. He was the one that took her.

Then suddenly there is a scream behind me and I almost fall out of the van. The boy must have spotted Burns. "Geez kid," I gasp, "calm down."

"He's one of them!" he shouts, "he's a monster! He will hurt us! You have to kill him!"

"It's alright," Emma tells him, like that is going to help, "he's our friend. He won't hurt us."

"Hey," I turn to the boy, "remember what I said before? He may be one of them, but he's on our side. You see Emma here? She was kidnapped by those aliens, but Burns fought them and brought her back. He's like a secret agent. You can trust him."

He doesn't seem to believe me, but at least he's not screaming anymore.

"There's something else," Emma says hesitantly and I sigh as she explains. "It's dangerous, squirky. You told me they were the ones to put Sky in your body. If the find out you're human..."

"I'll be careful. I promise," Emma says, "Burns will be there with me. We won't stay long. I'll come up with some excuse. You're going to have to stay in the van though."