Chapter 22 The Abandoned

“Such is the human race.
Often it seems a pity that Noah didn’t miss the boat.”

-          Mark Twain

Burns

I’m not sure how much time has passed before I realize she’s not coming back. Eve then it takes a while before it sinks in.

She lied to me.

She deceived me.

I thought we were friends. But in the end I suppose it’s true what they say. Human can’t be trusted.
What I didn’t’ account for was how much it hurts. I trusted her. I even cared about her. I let her stay in my house and we did stuff together. Did it really mean nothing to her?
Didn’t I tell her I would let her go if she wanted to? Did she not believe me?

I turn off the highway and start looking for a motel. It’s too dark to return home at this point. I’ll stay in this city over night and tomorrow I’ll go back. There’s no use in visiting Scales now. It was just a trick on her behalf to run away.
I should have known something was up, but I had no reason to doubt her. How could I forget that she is not one of us?

Stupid me.

And I even went looking for her in the forest, thinking that perhaps she had gotten lost. All I found was the prism I gave her, abandoned in the grass.
I think that was what actually hurt the most. Because of the story she told me about her father. She told it so convincingly, but it was probably a lie too or she would have kept it.

My hand moves to my coat pocket where I keep the prism. I considered throwing it away but it’s too pretty to part with.

There’s an older woman behind the reception desk and she smiles when I enter the building. “Good evening, welcome. My name is gentle Breeze over the River Fields. Do you want a room for the night?”
“Yes please,” I answer and I can’t help but smile. I’ve spent too much time with Emma. I had almost forgotten how kind Souls are. This is how it’s supposed to be. “A single room and perhaps something to eat?”
“I’ll see what I can do for you. Do you want the key first so you can get to your room and clean up?”
“That would be nice, thank you. I’m Burns Living Flowers by the way. May I ask about your name? What planet is it from?”
“Summer World,” she says. She smiles when she sees my surprised face. Not many Souls from Summer World choose Earth.
“I met someone from the Summer World not long ago,” I tell her, “but he took the name of his host here, so I don’t know what he was called.”
“Really?” she gasps, “where does he live?”
I shake my head. “Sorry, I can’t tell you. He was just passing through.”
She nods in understanding and hands me a keycard. “Room twelve. I’ll have diner ready in about an hour. Will that be alright with you?”
“That would be great. Thank you so much. It was nice talking to you.”
I leave the reception behind and walk towards my room. It is strangely empty with only me, even though it’s a single room.
Was it really yesterday that Emma was smiling at me and we discussed the Fire Tasters?
I drop my bag on the bed and decide to take a shower fist. The hot water will clear my mind and will give me time to think.
It’s a strange emotion to feel. I’ve never been betrayed before. Is that why it affects me so much? We don’t have a word for betrayal in our language. The concept doesn’t even exist.

When I exit the shower, I stumble over a bag. I take a better look and see it’s Emma’s. Why I brought it in with mine, I don’t know. It’s not like she’ll come back to pick it up and there’s nothing in there that I need.
I pick it up and sit down on the bed with it. A frown appears on my face.
Why did she leave it behind? Even when she was on the run before, she still had a bag with her that contained clothes and a few personal belongings.
My hand reaches for the cords that close the bag and I hesitate. Left behind or not, it’s still Emma’s bag. I have no right to open it.
But curiosity gets the better of me.
I take out a set of clothes. Only one, it makes me smile. Emma always travels light.
The next object is a small stack of paper from the last motel and a pen. A small bag with toiletries follows. The guitar is still in the back of my car. No one will steal it. There are only Souls here.

A knock on the door makes me look up. A boy is standing on the porch, no older than fourteen in human years. His silver eyes smile at me. “Gentle Breeze asked me to see if you’re hungry yet. Your meal is almost ready. Is the room comfortable enough?”
“The room is perfect,” I smile back, “and I cleaned up. Do you mind showing me where I can eat?”

“Of course. Please follow me. My name is Hides in the Snow. You are from Fire World, aren’t you?” Wasn’t it awfully hot there?”
 I laugh softly. Of course he would think so after living with the Bears. “It was a beautiful place,” I tell him, “and the lava fields relaxed your muscles. But I was a Bear too before Fire World.”
Hides in the Snow’s eyes grow wide. “Really?”
I nod. “Yes. I lived in the Second Ice City, behind the Geyser Fields. My name was Blue Ice Finder.”
I’ve heard of you,” Hides in the Snow gasps, “they say you often went out in the Snow Planes, where the Claw Beasts live, to find rare ice cones to build the cities. You’re a legend there.”
“I liked doing research,” I explain, “and the Snow Planes were the best place to find ice cubes. Not one of them was the same.”
“Do you do research here too?” Hides in the Sow asks curiously and I nod.
“Yes, exploring new places is something I enjoy. How about you?”
“I work here,” he answers, “with whatever is needed. I run errands, help in the kitchen and answer questions from the guests. It’s what Mark’s been doing ever since he was eight years old. I just stuck with it. And I love it.”
“Mark?” I question.
“The name of my host,” Hides in the Snow clarifies, “the humans that owned the motel found him in an alley when he was eight. He was an orphan. He would have starved it they hadn’t taken him in.”
My mind flashes to Gentle Breeze. Was she one of the humans that took him in?
Hides in the Snow nods when I ask. “Yes. I was so happy when the Seekers got her too. It’s too bad it was too late for Harold. He died in a car crash just before we came to this planet. It would have been nice to have him here too. Oh, we’re here.” He pushes open a door and we enter a small dining area.
“Ah you found him Snowy,” Gentle Breeze smiles when she notices us. The table is set and Gentle Breeze carries a tray with food.
I catch the scent of roast potatoes and beef and my mouth starts to water. Only now I realize how hungry I am.
I’m the only guest in the room, but it’s late. Everyone else is probably asleep.
“Please sit and eat,” Gentle Breeze says, “Snowy you should go to bed. It’s late.”

Snowy nods and waves at me. I watch as he disappears into a backroom and the turn to Gentle Breeze. “Thank you so much for the food. I did not mean to trouble you so late at night.”

“It’s not a problem,” she answers warmly, “I could see you were tired and hungry. I couldn’t just let you go to your room like that. I like taking care of people.”
I smile at her and start to eat as I wonder about her words. Souls are naturally kind, but after what Snowy told me, I’m starting to wonder if it’s completely Gentle Breeze that is so friendly. The woman that carried that body before was kind-hearted too if she took in an orphan child. It reminds me of something Emma said, that not all humans are bad.
“It’s delicious,” I tell her honestly.
She beams at me and after asking my permission she sits down at the table with me. “Will you be staying long?” she asks.
“No,” I tell her, “I’ll be headed home tomorrow. I only needed a room for the night. I was going to visit a friend, but something came up.”
“Nothing bad I hope,” Gentle Breeze says concerned.
I force out a smile and tell my very first lie ever. “No. Nothing bad. My plans just altered. I have to get back to work.” I wonder why I’m still protecting her after she’s betrayed me so. “I’ll visit him when I have more time.”
Gentle Breeze nods in understanding. “I hope you’ll see him soon then.”
“I’m sure I will,” I say and finish my meal. I have a long drive ahead of me tomorrow and I want to rest.
I excuse myself and head to my room.

Thoughts of Emma keep me awake all night.

Sorry for the long wait. Things are a bit hectic at home, but it's slowly getting better. Please leave a comment on the chapter. I really like feedback so I can improve my story.