Chapter 133 The Welcoming Committee

The universe is full of magical things,

Patiently waiting for our wits to grow sharper

-Eden Philpotts

Burns

This place is amazing. On the outside you could never imagine the complicated cave system that runs underground.

After Ian, Wanderer and Aaron explain our sudden appearance to the others, we are ushered further inside. I've been introduced to so many people that I can barely keep up. Most are friendly, some not so much. There's a woman with black hair that Wanderer says is named Lacey. She looks at me with hostility and disdain, and though I've never met her before, she looks familiar.

"She was the Seeker appointed to me," Wanderer explains softly, "I didn't know she had a resistant host until she found this place. Even now, she doesn't like me much." She bites her lip and gives a sad smile. Ian rubs her arm affectionately. "Forget about her, Wanda some people are just bitter. Just ignore her."

"I know," Wanderer sighs, "I just wish she wouldn't hate me so much."

Other people are friendlier. And older looking man that I learn is the leader of this group, and Melanie's uncle Jeb, slaps my shoulder with a wide grin on his face. "Welcome in our humble home, lad. See, sweetheart, I knew there was hope for your kind. Maybe one day we will live in peace."

"I hope so, sir," I tell him honestly.

He pulls a face. "No one calls me sir. I'm Jeb. How do you like my place so far?"

"It's really beautiful," I say.

"Wait until you see the garden," Wanderer smiles, "can we take them there, uncle Jeb?"

"Sure, sweetheart," Jeb says, "but let's wait for the rest of their friends to arrive so they can have the tour all at once."

"Wanda! Wanda!" A teenage boy worms his way through the crowd and attaches himself to Wanderer's hand. It's quite amusing to watch since he's more than a head taller than her. "Is it true? Did you find others? Trudy said the have someone like you. You know, a nice Soul that helps us humans."

Wanderer smiles. "Yes, Jamie, we brought them, see?"

He looks at us now. "Is it only the three of you? I thought there were more. Where's Mel and Jared? Didn't they come back with you?"

"They're with the others, kid," Ian says, "bringing their van to safety. They offered to share their goods with us if we help them fix their car. They should be here soon."

Jamie's eyes light up. "So there's really more of them? How many? You think there's even more people out there somewhere?"

Blake chuckles at the boy's stream of words. "Man, and I thought Finn talks a lot." He holds out his hand towards Jamie. "I'm Blake. This is Rachel and Burns and Evan. Your Jared and Melanie are with our other friends. There's Nate, who acts like our boss, and Tom, Rob and Kim. But we're twenty-two in total. We know of three more groups."

"Three more?!" Jamie asks wide-eyed.

"Yup," Blake says.

"Burns Living Flowers is also a Soul, like me," Wanderer says.

Jamie studies me more closely. "Burns Living Flowers. Is that a Fire World name? Wanda told us about the other planets, she's been to almost all of them, but not to Fire World, right Wanda? Is that the only planet you've lived on?"

"Jamie," Jared's voice sounds from the entrance, "give our guests some time before the interrogation." But there's amusement in his voice.

"I don't mind," I smile.