Chapter 42 The Contemplator

Does the walker choose the patth
Or does the path choose the walker?

- Garth Nix

Burns

I frown when I come across a traffic jam. This is usually a quiet town. I wonder what’s going on. Whatever it is, I’m sure it will be solved soon.

I patiently wait at the end of the line and try to see around the other cars to find out what’s the hold up.

That’s when I see.

Seekers.

There are three of them and they are gathered around one particular car a little ahead. I watch them curiously. What could be in the car that Seekers are so interested in?
I can’t hear what they’re saying, but something seems to make the driver anxious.

I can see one of the passenger’s tense and out of the blue, the car’s engine roars to life and the vehicle speeds away.

I gaps in shock. Who would do such a dangerous and irrational thing?

I watch as the vehicle speeds past me and catch a glimpse of the driver. His face holds a frustrated expression.
It doesn’t take long for the Seekers to start the pursuit.

And then it clicks.

It doesn’t seem to make sense, but now that I’ve seen it with my own eyes, I can come to only one conclusion.

Humans.

Even now it takes a moment to fully register in my mind. I shouldn’t be surprised. After all, I’ve met a human before.

My mind wanders off to Sky, who is at the motel waiting for me.

Last night was strange. She seemed excited about our trip, but it wasn’t as usual. I know I hurt her feelings in Toledo, so I understand if she keeps a bit of a distance. But then she mentioned Scales.

I’m certain I’ve never mentioned Scales with her.

But I’ve mentioned him with Emma.

And then the were the tears…

The remaining Seeker signals for the cars to continue on their way and I slowly move forward. The idea of more humans being still around is startling, but it’s also intriguing.

How did they manage to stay out of sight?

I bite my lip. I don’t have much hope for these humans with the Seekers hot on their tails. It will only be a matter of time before they are caught and brought for insertion.
A cold shiver runs down my spine and I wonder what’s wrong with me.

It’s only the natural course of things.

I should be happy.

It means more Souls can experience and enjoy Earth.

Instead, a stone settles in my stomach. If it’s a good thing, why does it feel so wrong?

I shake off the feeling of unease and turn onto the parking lot. I sit in the car a moment longer before going inside.
I’m still trying to figure out what to do. The purpose of us Souls, is to experience a planet and make it a better place, not to suppress life. I already knew that humans were different from other species, but it seems they’re even more than that.
They’re strong.
They have strong minds and a strong will to live.
Maybe Emma was right.
Maybe it was wrong to take it from them.

“Prisons come in many forms.”

Bitter words that Emma once spoke.
Is that what it’s like for her now? If it’s true, then I need to help her.
But what about Sky?

I run a hand across my face. I don’t know what to do.

***

“Hey,” Sky greets me when I walk through the doors, “you took your time.”
“Sorry,” I apologize, “there was a roadblock and I had to wait.”
Sky’s eyes widen. “A roadblock? Was there an accident? Was everyone okay?”
I hesitate. I don’t want to lie to her. Lying is not my nature. But if I tell her the truth, about humans… No, I can’t lie.
“There were Seekers,” I say.
“Seekers?”
Am I imagining the slight tremble of her hands? Maybe I just want to see it.
I nod.
"What were they doing?”
There is really only one reason for Seekers to be on duty. And she knows it. Her friend is a Seeker after all.
I lower my voice and whisper. “I think they were chasing humans.”
Sky stares at me. There is fear in her eyes. “H-humans?” she stutters.
I move closer to her and rub her arms to comfort her. “Don’t worry. They won’t come here. They raced out of town and the Seekers were after them.” I pause and hesitate before speaking my next words. “They’ll be caught soon.”  
She surprises me by taking a step closer and locking her arms around me.
After a few seconds, I get over my shock and answer her embrace. “Hey,” I say, “it’s fine. There’s nothing to worry about.”
“Can we just go,” Sky whispers, “I don’t want to stay here.”
“Of course,” I nod, “I have everything we need. We just need to load our bags.” Her behavior confuses me. Was it because I mentioned humans? I untangle myself from her hold and smile. “Let’s go then.”
She answers my smile and turns to pick up her bags. “Will we be in Vegas soon?”
“We can make it tonight if we keep on driving, or we can stop along the way one more time. Maybe we can do a bit of sightseeing.”
“I’m not sure. What if we run into those humans?”
“The Seekers must have caught them by now,” I tell her.
Sadness passes over her face and if I hadn’t been looking at her, I would have missed it.
She tenses and hurries past me.
“Sky?” I ask.
“You’re probably right,” she says quickly, “there’s nothing to worry about.”
But she’s nervous.
Perhaps if I hadn’t known her body so well, I would not have noticed. If it had been just Sky… but the body belongs to Emma and in the time I’ve known her, I’ve become familiar with her expressions.
I follow her to the car and sit behind the wheel as I wait for her to join me.
“Okay,” she breathes, “on to Vegas.”
I nod and drive off.
Sky stares out of the window at the passing landscape. I have no way of telling what’s going through her mind right now. But there’s one thing I do know.

Emma is still there and that means Sky can’t be.

One of them has to go.