8

Rivers pov

Nick lead us to the backyard and there's 5 chairs spread out in a circle around the fire Chris was setting up. "Wait aren't there three of you?" I asked.

"Haha yeah, Matt is inside. He'll be out in a second though." Nick said.

Chris seems so focused trying to get the logs to spark, he hasn't even looked up. Matt comes out the door with a bottle of water and tosses it to Nick.

"Hey guys. I'm about to go back in, do you want something to drink?" Matt asked looking between me, Chris, and Jordan.

Chris finally got the wood to spark up, "Yeah actually, can you get me a can of Pepsi?"

Matt looks at me and Jordan. "What about you?"

"Can I just get a bottle of water?" I asked

"Yeah for sure," Matt says. Now only looking at Jordan tilting his head a bit in question.

Yeah, I'll get a bottle of water too, I'll help you." Jordan says. Smooth.

They go inside and Nick follows them. I'm now left here with Chris. "Hey." I said sitting down a chair over from him.

"Hey." He replied just looking back at me. We hold eye contact for a few seconds in silence.

"So uh, what did you do today." I ask feeling feeling it become awkward. I hate small talk.

He breaks eye contact by looking over at the back door. He turns his head back towards me, "We got food today." Why is he being dry? "What about you, how was your ditch day." I smiled a little bit, ok maybe not as dry as I thought.

"It was good. We kinda just sat and watched movies all day." Now I'm the one breaking eye contact by looking over at the door wondering when they're going to come back. "Where did you go?"

"Huh?" he mumbled back.

"I mean for food." Duh.

"Oh, Mcdonald's." He said while one of his legs bounced up and down.

"Wait, weren't you there last night?" I ask.

"Hey don't question it." He said laughing with a smile on his face. I think that's the first time I've heard him laugh or smile.

"My fault." I say holding my hands up in surrender. In perfecting timing, Nick, Matt, and Jordan all walk back outside. Chris seems nice but I didn't want it to get awkward.

...

We've all been talking and getting to know each other for the past hour and a half. Our conversations kind of start off pretty surface level but we somehow end up getting into a deep conversation about something random. Our seating arrangement goes, Matt's back is sitting behind the door, to his left is Jordan, me, Nick, and then Chris.

"Ok wait do you guys have any siblings?" Nick asks switching topics.

"Yeah, I have an older brother, Cole. He's 21." Jordan answers and looks over at me.

I look at Nick and say, "Yeah, I have an older brother named Spencer and a twin brother, Noah."

"Wait you're a twin?" Chris asks leaning down in his chair so his elbows are on his knees.