Chapter 3 - Compromise

Natasha froze at Wanda's words, but thankfully Sam was still close enough to grab her before she hit the floor. 

Natasha could only stare at the woman she was still madly in love with as Steve came to Sam's side and hoisted her over his shoulder. It wasn't the most affectionate lift, but by the look on his face, Steve didn't seem happy with Wanda's reaction to Natasha. Perhaps he had hoped that the Russian was exaggerating things. To his knowledge, Natasha hadn't done anything that would have warranted the response she was receiving.

Natasha had only told him part of the story though. She tried to play it off to herself that it was because what had happened was their private business, but really she was finding it difficult to relive those moments. They had pained her just as they did Wanda, and she didn't think Steve would understand why she had acted as she did. She often took herself back to that day, to Lagos. She knew that she had little control over the things that had happened there, but she did play a big part in the events that followed.

Once the team had got things under control in the city, they had joined Natasha back on the jet. Steve seemed a little shaken, no doubt having put a lot of blame on himself for what happened just a few hours prior, but all the same he offered to fly back. Sam assured Natasha that he would keep an eye on him, and Natasha was able to move Wanda to somewhere more private to rest.

A little into their journey Natasha was sitting staring at a still unconscious Wanda. As she replayed the day's events in her head, Natasha knew that things were bound to change. This had gone as badly as it could. It actually would have been better if Rumlow had just blown himself up, sure people would have died, but they would have died anyway. At least then, Wanda wouldn't be to blame. Natasha looked down at her sleeping partner, stroking a piece of hair from the front of her face.

"I have a call for you," Sam whispered, Natasha hadn't even heard him enter the room.

"I don't want to wake her," Natasha replied. This was true, but she also really didn't want to talk to anyone right now.

"I know. I'll sit with her until you're back," Sam offered with a weak smile.

Unable to think of another excuse Natasha took the phone from Sam, and headed out of the room. It was only then she realised that she didn't ask who it was. The call screen was an unknown number. Great. She sighed, but placed the phone to her ear.

"Hello," she said with a fake confidence.

"Natasha," Tony answered, and a clear sigh of relief could be seen rushing through Natasha's body.

"Tony."

"We need to talk."

"Yeah, I know-"

"I've been speaking with Ross."

"Ross? Why?"

"The government isn't happy," Tony replied seriously.

"Is that why you're calling me? You know the US government has never been a fan, maybe Steve would be better for advice," Natasha attempted as a joke.

"It's not just the US government, Nat. It's all of them."

"Oh shit."

"We need to get ahead of this. I'm meeting with Ross now, but until we can work this out we need Wanda to stay under the radar. Not a peep. Keep her in the compound."

"She won't like that, Tony."

"Will she like prison?"

"I-"