Chapter 31 - Realisation

The next few months flew by. They quietly celebrated Christmas and their respective birthdays, and just enjoyed the more mundane aspects of their life together.

A few days after Wanda's birthday, they had decided to take a walk around the edge of the fjord. Wanda had a question in her head, and despite trying to ignore it, it was something she really needed to ask.

"When are we getting married?" she blurted, a few minutes into their walk.

Natasha stopped, and laughed.

"What?" Wanda asked, her anxiety having reached its peak as her question went unanswered.

"It's just not what I was expecting your reply to be."

Wanda, in her flustered state, didn't realise Natasha had said anything, and therefore didn't realise she was replying.

"Wait. What did you say?"

"I asked you if you thought we should stop off and get some gas for the truck on the way home."

"Oh," Wanda blinked, "I'm sorry I wasn't listening."

Natasha just laughed again, but took Wanda's hand as they resumed their walk.

Thinking she needed a moment, Wanda didn't repeat herself, and instead tried to focus on the warmth coming from Natasha's palms. However, after precisely one moment had passed, she then stopped walking and pulled on Natasha's arm, causing her to stop mid step, and catch her balance.

"Yes?" Natasha smirked.

"You didn't answer me."

"Oh yeah. I didn't."

Wanda had turned a funny shade, somewhere between red and green, so Natasha decided she'd played with her enough.

"When do you want to get married?"

"Yesterday," Wanda replied quickly.

Natasha cocked a brow, "Really?"

"I said yes to you months ago, and you haven't mentioned it since."

Natasha felt a little bad about that, now that it was being brought to her attention.

Wanda continued, "Do you not want to get married?"

"No. I do. Of course I do," Natasha took Wanda's other hand and looked into her eyes intently as she spoke, wanting to make sure she understood how much she truly did want to get married.

"Well, why haven't you said anything?"

"I don't know," Natasha replied honestly, "I guess maybe with everything that's happened with the house and our life together, it sort of already felt like we were married."

Wanda nodded, "It does, but I want it to be real."

"This is real," Natasha smiled.

Wanda couldn't help but smile back, "I know, but I want to be yours, officially. I want to be your wife."

"I want to be yours," Natasha agreed.

Natasha gently let go of one of Wanda's hands, but continued to hold the other. They both resumed walking.

"What kind of wedding do you want?" Natasha asked.

Wanda thought for a moment, "I don't know, I never really picture anything beyond the part where it's you that I'm marrying."

The casual nature with which these words fell from her lips, earned a rare blush from Natasha.

"You're cute," she commented, turning her head to hide her flushed cheeks from view. She didn't realise though that Wanda could already tell the effect she had on her.