Chapter 4 - Apathy

When Natasha was eventually able to compose herself, she returned to the inside of the trailer. She was feeling surprisingly alert despite having very little sleep over the past few days, so decided to clean up the place a bit until morning came and she could head to the store.

The last time she was here she didn't expect to be away for as long as she had been, so the place was in a bit of a state. Natasha started by clearing up the dishes, deciding to dispose of those too far gone to save, and then cleaned down the counters with whatever she found under the sink. Her Norwegian wasn't the best, but she assumed whatever was in the various spray bottles she had found couldn't possibly make the state of the kitchen any worse. The cupboards and fridge were emptied of all their expired inventory, and Natasha found herself queasy at some of the smells she encountered.

Next, she moved to the main living space, and began taking the cushions off the small couch. She swept the various crumbs she found under them into her hand, before throwing them into the trash. She didn't have a vacuum, but even if she did she wouldn't want to use it and wake Wanda. The Sokovian didn't need any further reason to be angry at her. 

The magazines were stacked, the small collection of books returned to their proper place on the shelf, and the remote returned to its spot beside the TV. Natasha knew the bathroom likely needed her attention too, but as it was right next to the bedroom she figured it too could wait until Wanda got up.

Natasha checked her watch, and it was just a little after 5am, so still a bit early for the store to be open, and it was still dark outside even though it was in the middle of Summer. A yawn worked its way through her, and now that there was nothing else to do, and some time to kill, she sat herself down on the now crumb free couch and figured she would rest for a few hours until sunrise. Her body had a different plan for her though, and she didn't wake until much later, after a prompt from a brunette.

Natasha jumped when she saw Wanda leaning over her, and Wanda managed to move back just in time to avoid their heads colliding.

"You scared the shit out of me," Natasha blurted as she tried to regain her breath.

Wanda didn't reply, and instead headed into the kitchen and opened the fridge. She quickly slammed it shut as it was completely empty, and sighed before heading to the door of the trailer and walking out it.

Natasha paused for a second before jumping up and following her out the door.

"Wanda," she started, "You probably shouldn't be out here. Not until we get that thing off your neck."

"Great, from one prison to another is it?" Wanda stated.

"I just mean, we don't know if we were followed here and you can't use your powers."

"Where are we?"

That was a fair question, Natasha thought to herself, considering Wanda hadn't been awake for any of the journey here.

"Norway."

"Where is everyone else?"

"Everyone else?"

"Steve, Clint, Sam?" Wanda said as though it were obvious.

"They're gone Wanda. It's just you and me."

"Please, tell me you're joking?" Wanda's face dropped, not that she was particularly ecstatic before.

"No. Clint and Scott went back to the US, and Sam and Steve headed out East."

"They left me here with you?"

"Well, it's better than the Raft surely?" Natasha tried to reason with her.