Chapter 37 - Name

Despite how warm and enjoyable the shower had been, Natasha made sure to hurry back from the bathroom as swiftly as she could. Not wanting to bother drying her hair, she clipped it up and threw on some sweats before returning to the kitchen in time to help Wanda carry their food into the living room.

The two tried to sit at the table most nights, but both knew comfort was more important on this particular evening. They had a lot to discuss.

Natasha was surprised at how the afternoon had turned out, but delighted with the intimate moment they had shared together. With everything that had been going on, she had become a bit distant. It wasn't that she didn't want to speak to Wanda about how she was feeling with everything, but she didn't always have the words.

Although it was impractical, they cuddled as they ate, and once they had their fill, Natasha grabbed the remote and switched the TV off. Wanda understood, and rotated herself on the couch to give Natasha her full attention.

Natasha didn't know where to begin, but figured the start was as good of a place as any. She explained to Wanda how the mission had gone down, and Wanda listened intently to all of the details Natasha was willing to share.

"I really didn't think it would be there," Natasha admitted, "The longer it went on the worse I felt."

"But it was," Wanda reminded her.

"It was."

Wanda took a breath, almost afraid to ask, but went ahead anyway, "What next?"

"Well, Yelena took the samples back to Melina. She would have the right kind of equipment to keep them from deteriorating any more until we move forward."

Wanda nodded, "How do we move forward? I remember you said that you had someone in mind."

"I do," Natasha began before taking a long sip of her soda. Wanda could tell she was hesitating.

"It's not Bruce is it?"

"No," Natasha laughed, "It's just someone who maybe isn't a huge fan of yours."

Wanda knew she had enemies, but couldn't think of anyone specific. She cocked her head slightly to encourage Natasha to spill it.

"Helen Cho," she stated.

Wanda was instantly reminded of the doctor that she and Pietro had helped Ultron hold hostage. She remembered the terrified wimpers of her lab staff as they pleaded for their lives, and to not be hurt. It was then that Wanda realised that they may have picked the wrong side. She never thought of herself as someone who would hurt innocent people, and didn't want to become someone that did.

Natasha noticed the glazed look in Wanda's eyes, and placed her hand on the Sokovian's arm to draw her back into the room.

"It complicates things," Natasha shrugged.

"Is there no one else?" Wanda asked.

"Cho is the world's expert on genetics. If anything has been tampered with she will know, and know how to fix it. Plus, I don't think we can just walk into a regular doctor's office without risk."

Wanda rubbed her temples, "You're right. This is too important."

"Last time you saw her you did undo what Ultron did to her, maybe she's fine with you now."

"He almost killed her for it. I don't know how fine I would be with helping, if I was her."

"I'll call her," Natasha suggested, "Test the waters."

Wanda nodded.

There was a brief silence.

"What if I've ruined this? I mean, with what I did?"