Chapter 5 - Recall

A/N: Sorry for the delay in getting this out. Due to the time skips it was a little trickier for me to write. This chapter is more to fill in some of the gaps between the end of the last book and the start of this one - I just didn't want to constantly jump back in time in other chapters so thought I would try this. Just for reference, book one ended on the 3rd May, 2016 and book two started on the 22nd of June, 2016.

May 3rd, 2016 - Natasha POV

"Tony. We just landed."

"How is she?"

"Asleep, still. She's exhausted. She passed out right after."

"So, how much does she know?"

"I have no idea. Are you still with Ross?"

I could hear him sigh on the other end of the phone, "Yes."

"Where?"

"At the tower."

"I thought you sold that."

"Doesn't close until Monday. I thought it'd be best to keep this away from the compound."

"Agreed. I'll be there in half an hour."

I ended the call abruptly, not wanting to waste any more time. I did, however, want to check on Wanda before I left. Steve had carried her in from the jet. I could have managed it, but I wanted to run ahead and make sure our room was set for her. I knew I wouldn't have much time to spare if I wanted to be a part of the conversation with Ross.

She was exactly as we had left her, curled up under the comforter. Her expression reminded me of how she had looked after Ultimo. She was in pain. I could only imagine what she was dreaming about. I kissed her forehead gently as I whispered goodbye, and hoped that I would be back before she woke.

I decided against ordering a car, and opted to drive myself, figuring I could break a few traffic laws if needed to get me there faster. It was pretty late in the evening which meant the traffic was lighter, but it was still the city and there were always cars around.

When I reached the building I practically threw the car into a spot in the garage, and jumped straight into the elevator. Tony had given us all an access PIN to reach the residential floor, so I entered it in the keypad and hoped that's where he and Ross would be.

I guessed I was right when I stepped out and was met by Pepper pulling me into a hug that was quite frankly aggressive coming from her.

"Pep," I winced as she squeezed.

"Are you okay?"

"Pep," I repeated, and she understood what I meant as she quickly let me go.

"Sorry. I just," she trailed off.

"Is it bad?" I gestured my head towards the closed door at the end of the hall. Tony's study, from which I could hear a mumble of voices.

"I'm not sure, but it doesn't sound good," she replied sadly.

I was curious as to why Pepper wasn't part of the conversation, considering she was Tony's right hand. Although in saying that, Stark Industries was her thing and Avenging was his.

I gave her hand a squeeze as I passed and headed for the study. I didn't bother to knock and caught them mid conversation as I swung the door open.

"It's a matter of public safety," Ross insisted, he had his hand raised to gesture in front of him, but on hearing me enter he turned, "Romanoff."