Chapter 19 - Outlook

Natasha finally settled after about an hour. Up until then, every so often she would stop and catch her breath, and just when both of them thought that she was feeling better, the tears would start all over again.

Wanda's heart broke as she watched Natasha fall apart, but held herself together. She knew that Natasha needed this, and if she were to get upset too Natasha would snap out of it and prioritise Wanda's feelings above her own.

Wanda sighed when she heard her lover's grip loosen and her breathing slow. She had fallen asleep. She wasn't exactly surprised, she of all people knew how exhausting emotions could be. Once she was able she slipped off the bed and out of the room, hoping to eat a little more of dinner. She was starving.

She covered Natasha's plate and popped it in the fridge as the food was cooled down. Wanda knew she could heat it up for her later if she needed to. Then she took her own plate and sat on the opposite side of the table that she was sitting at previously, so she could see into the bedroom. If Natasha woke and she wasn't there, Wanda thought she might panic, so wanted to be able to see any sign of her waking up.

Wanda was worried, and got the feeling that what Natasha had revealed to her this evening was only the tip of the iceberg in regards to her past trauma. It was clear that Natasha didn't talk about it, the only person she might have shared this with before would have been Clint, but Wanda knew she couldn't contact him as it was much too risky. All she could do was keep the door open for Natasha to share when she was ready, and support her through that.

As she took one of the last few bites of her meal, her head snapped up to the bedroom when she heard Natasha move in the bed. Her face was now on show, and thankfully she did look peaceful. Wanda still found it slightly odd to see Natasha with blonde hair, but now that her own hair had switched from being dark to a more auburn colour at least they wouldn't be mistaken for sisters or something when they were together.

She couldn't help but laugh when she thought about the possibility of that happening, and Natasha's reaction to it.

Now that her own plate was empty, and her stomach had settled, Wanda put her plate into the sink, switched off the lights in the trailer, and returned to the bedroom. When she changed and climbed into bed, Natasha moved instinctively to pull her closer, and they drifted off in each other's arms.

Natasha woke first the next morning. She didn't know what time it was but guessed it was early as the sun was only beginning to rise. It took a few moments for the events of the night prior to refresh in her brain, and she felt somewhat embarrassed about breaking down like she did. In her mind she still didn't feel like she deserved to be sad about what happened as she was the one doing it.

Natasha had always been proud of how much control she had over her own emotions, and didn't really understand why all of that had failed her last night. Who would have thought that a home cooked meal would have evoked that reaction? She was actually kind of annoyed too that she didn't finish it, considering the effort that Wanda went to to make it.

She climbed out of bed and got changed into some sweats and a hoodie. It was summer still, but the mornings could be cold and she thought a run would help clear her mind. She downed a big glass of water, and then quietly exited the trailer, hoping to be back before Wanda got up.

Instead of going towards the road, she headed towards the trees and decided that away from the public view she could really stretch her legs. Although she wasn't as fast as Steve, she was still faster than the average person, and wanted to sprint for a bit. She took a deep breath before setting off. Her need to constantly dodge trees and random foliage was great, as it distracted her mind from anything else and she could only focus on putting one foot in front of the other and not going on her ass.