Chapter 40 - Results

TW: Fertility issues

"Natasha," Wanda called, "I think the new neighbours have a dog."

A few days prior the two had woken to the sound of a moving van outside. They hadn't noticed a 'For Sale' sign on their neighbour's house, but nonetheless it seemed as though a new couple were moving in next door.

Wanda was thoroughly excited about this, especially considering the couple seemed to be closer in age than the rest of their neighbours. Natasha hadn't quite got around to bursting her bubble and reminding her wife that they would need to keep their distance. Wanda needed a distraction, and this worked for now.

They hadn't yet heard much back from Helen Cho despite it being a few weeks since their appointment in Seoul. The longer time went on, the more likely it seemed to Natasha that something was wrong and that Cho wasn't getting back to them until she knew she had already attempted everything to get around it.

The appointment had been a lot different than the two women had expected. They prepared for invasive tests, particularly with Wanda. They prepared for bad news. They prepared for the worst. Instead, Wanda was tested not only on her fertility, but seemingly on her powers.

Cho had a particular interest in how the Mind Stone had affected Wanda's biology, and Natasha and Wanda had decided to trust that everything they had done that day, including all the sampling, and the physical and mental testing had been for a good reason. They figured they would leave for Norway with something, some shred of news and they still were as much in the dark as they had been arriving that day.

If Wanda wanted to focus on the neighbours, Natasha wasn't going to stop her.

"I think it's only a little one though," Wanda turned from the window and looked to her wife sitting on the couch with a book.

"Well hopefully it's quiet," Natasha grumbled.

"Did you not ever want a dog?" Wanda asked as she made her way over to sit on the arm of the couch by Natasha's head.

"Not really," the blonde shrugged, "I'm more of a cat person. Dogs are too needy."

Wanda laughed, "You do realise, our child will be very needy, and loud."

"I know," Natasha laughed in return, "That's different though."

"Hmm," Wanda mumbled, moving her attention to the book Natasha was still focusing on, "What are you reading?"

Natasha flipped the book over and revealed the cover.

"The Song of Achilles," Wanda read aloud, "What's it about?"

"Well," Natasha began, sitting up and turning to face Wanda as she spoke, "It's based on The Iliad. It's written from the perspective of Patroclus, Achilles' friend. It's focusing a lot on their relationship."

"Right? I don't know much about it."

"Yeah, me neither. It seems pretty gay so far though."

"Gay?" Wanda laughed.

"Yeah, these guys are definitely into each other."

"Interesting," Wanda remarked, reaching over to brush hair out of Natasha's face.

"I'm enjoying it. The only thing kind of bugging me is that the Greeks did love a tragedy, and I feel like this will end badly."

"Well, keep reading and maybe it'll surprise you and have a happy ending," Wanda smiled.

Natasha leaned up and kissed Wanda on the cheek, "Somehow I just don't think so."

She then quickly moved to sit back in her original position on the couch and returned her eyes to her book.