Chapter 28 - Normal

The weeks that followed passed them in a blur, and Natasha wasn't sure whether to be concerned that she hadn't heard from Pepper at all since their phone call.

When Halloween arrived, Wanda did eventually coax Natasha into her costume, and managed a few sneaky pictures which she sent along to Yelena, begging her not to tease Natasha about it. Yelena, much to Wanda's surprise, kept her word. 

The small town didn't do much to celebrate the holiday, but they did have a few kids stop by to trick or treat, and it was nice to interact with the locals without any real concern for their safety or anonymity. No one would think that there would be real Avengers in their midst when there were a bunch of mini Thor's running around.

 Unsurprisingly, he seemed to be the most favoured Avenger in Norway.

At Wanda's request they kept the little Hallowe'en decorations they had up for a few extra days, and Natasha finally got her to take them down around the second week of November. After that, things returned to normal. Well, the new normal.

The house was pretty much finished in terms of the changes they had wanted to make, so to stop themselves being bored, they got back into training. It wasn't as regimented as it had been on the compound, but they made sure to get some exercise in and sparred with each other a few times a week in the woods nearby.

They were both still unsure about Wanda using her powers outside, even with no one nearby, so she kept them strictly for small tasks around the house. It wasn't ideal, but it was something, and at least came in handy for cleaning in awkward, hard to reach places.

Wanda also insisted that they work on the more covert parts of their training that they hadn't gotten around to at the compound, starting with masking her very strong Sokovian accent. Natasha suggested that they work on an English accent to at least have Wanda match the nationality on her passport, but Wanda insisted on American first. Much to the blonde's surprise, Wanda picked it up very easily, and before long she sounded like she lived in the states for most of her life.

"It's because of all the TV," Wanda explained, "I watched a lot of American TV growing up."

"Oh yeah?" Natasha replied, as she reached up into the cabinet for two mugs.

They had just wrapped up their training for the day, and Natasha was making coffee.

"Yes," Wanda nodded, "It was our little family tradition, and my parents thought it was good practice for learning English."

"They aren't wrong," Natasha agreed, setting the kettle on the stove to boil the water.

"Was that how you learned?"

"I wish," the Russian laughed, "It wasn't quite as wholesome as that."

"Right, I'm sorry." Wanda shook her head, knowing that even with the little she knew about the Red Room it was highly unlikely they would have been allowed to do anything as normal and enjoyable as watch the TV.

A quiet silence fell over them, broken then by the whistling of the kettle. Natasha quietly finished making their drinks, and rejoined her partner at the table so they could have them together.

"What did you do when you were younger?" Wanda asked, and Natasha cocked her head as though the answer was obvious.

"I mean for fun," Wanda clarified.

Natasha exhaled and leaned back in her chair, "I don't know really. Not much, I guess."

Wanda nodded, and continued drinking.

"I liked to play outside a lot," Natasha began, "I mean when I was in Ohio with Yelena and our p-... Melina and Alexi."

A smile crept across Wanda's lips, at the thought of a small Natasha playing in the sunshine with an even smaller Yelena, "That's nice."