Chapter 25 - Anniversary

Almost a week passed, and the two women had spent most of their time working to make sure that their home was truly theirs. It took a while, but when they had finally settled on colours and bought the paint, Wanda had planned to use her powers to perform the manual work and save them some time.

Natasha had a different idea.

"Absolutely not."

"I really don't see the sense in us spending hours doing this, when I could do it in a few minutes," Wanda argued back.

"Well in that case why would we do anything?"

"What?"

"Why waste our time doing anything?"

"That's dramatic."

"Why do you cook?"

"What?" Wanda really didn't know what Natasha was getting at.

"Why do you cook instead of us going out every night?" the blonde repeated.

"I don't know, because I like cooking."

"You like it, that's it?"

"Well, no," Wanda thought for a second, "I do it because I like the process, going through the steps and doing something myself."

"My point exactly."

"I do not see your point at all, Natasha."

"My point is that it is a process," Natasha began to gesture around her, "This is a process."

Wanda still wasn't getting it, so took a seat in the camp chair closest to her, and waited for Natasha to elaborate.

"This house isn't just four walls for me," Natasha spoke quietly.

"I know, it isn't just that for me either."

"When I look around this place, I want to see us. I want to see the spot we might have missed and never bothered to fix. I want to see the pair of paint stained pants hanging in our closet from when I accidentally spilled it on myself. I want to see our memories on these walls."

Wanda's face softened, as she realised that this wasn't just a silly disagreement. Natasha was serious about this. Natasha turned, as she felt herself getting emotional, and why she understood why she wanted to do this manually, she didn't quite understand why the idea of doing it a different way bothered her so much.

A moment or so later she heard the squeak of the camp chair, and then felt a hand slide into her own.

"I didn't realise this mattered so much to you," Wanda explained.

"Neither did I honestly."

Wanda used her other hand to wrap around the top of Natasha's arm, and set her head down on her shoulder as the two stared at the wall they were about to paint.

"I just want this to be real," Natasha mumbled.

"It is real, baby," Wanda gave her hand a squeeze, "You know that. We're here."

"I'm just so scared."

Wanda moved to stand in front of her lover, and could see the tears resting in her waterline.

"Hey," she started, pulling Natasha into a hug, "What's going on?"

"It just feels too good to be true," Natasha said into Wanda's shirt.

"What does?"

"This. This life. I should feel more settled, and all I can focus on is this feeling I have that it's all going to be taken away. I wake up every single day like there's this weight on my chest, and I've never had that before. I've never had anything in my life that I've been so scared to my core of losing."