Chapter 34 - Flight

The tension in the truck was palpable, and was one of the few times that Natasha and Wanda were not comfortable in their silence. Although the two hadn't spoken since they had left their house, the two had so much to say to one another. Wanda was the first to break, as she sighed and then spoke.

"It makes no sense."

"Wanda-"

"I don't understand it."

"I know-"

"You won't let me come? I don't need your permission, Natasha."

There was a pause, so Natasha assumed that Wanda wanted an answer this time.

"I didn't mean it like that, Wanda. You know that. I just...I just feel like this is something I need to do."

"Without me?"

Natasha pulled the truck over to the side of the road, and switched off the engine. She turned to look at Wanda, who was clearly unhappy, before turning back to face forward and let her head fall to rest on the steering wheel with a light thud.

"It's not that I don't want to be with you, Wanda. I just feel like I don't know what's going to happen and I don't know how I'll feel about whatever does end up happening."

Wanda didn't reply, so Natasha rotated her head slightly to look at her. Wanda's face had softened, so Natasha raised her head to look at her directly.

"I'm sorry," Wanda mumbled, "I understand that."

"I'm not running away," Natasha assured her.

"I know that too, but I just worry something will happen and I won't be there to protect you."

"Nothing will happen, and even if something happens Yelena will be there."

This didn't reassure Wanda, but she nodded all the same.

"I've been selfish with my feelings, and I didn't express that properly."

Natasha gave her a lopsided smile, "I figured you weren't mad at me for the reasons you were saying you were."

Wanda raised a brow.

"I know you. I know that you worry," Natasha explained, "I didn't see this as you seeking out adventure. You were concerned. I would be concerned too, but really it'll be fine."

"I'll be really mad at you if you come back with so much as a scratch," Wanda smiled.

"That's fair."

Wanda let out a sigh, "I'm sorry, you probably didn't need this today."

"It's okay."

"What do you need? How are you feeling?"

Wanda placed a hand on Natasha's thigh which Natasha then covered with her own and slowly traced her thumb over Wanda's fingers.

"I'm okay right now. I think I just need to go there and see what happens."

Wanda nodded, "Want me to drive?"

"I want to get there in one piece," Natasha smirked, which caused Wanda to roll her eyes.

Natasha picked up the hand she had been holding, and kissed Wanda's palm. Wanda moved the hand to graze Natasha's cheek before returning it to her own lap. Taking that as a sign, Natasha restarted the engine and continued the rest of their journey.

***

Meanwhile, Yelena Belova found herself secretly pleased that she had arrived at the meeting point before Natasha, though she was confused as to why her sister was late. Natasha was usually painfully punctual, which is why Yelena had made such a big deal to make sure their parents were on time when they had been invited over to Natasha and Wanda's home not many days prior.