Chapter 36 - Counter

A/N: As a warning, this chapter contains smut. I hadn't planned on this being something present in the book, but here we are. If you are NOT of the age to be reading such matters please do not continue with this chapter. While there are some elements of this chapter that explore the more intimate parts of their relationship, there are no plot driving elements. You won't miss the story by skipping this. Also, if you know me in real life, no you don't.

It was late into the afternoon when Natasha woke, and even later before she was able to get up from her spot on the couch. Wanda had rolled over in her sleep, and had shuffled down so that her head was wedged under Natasha's chin.

Natasha didn't dare shift an inch for fear of waking her, so continued to recall the rest of the events of her trip. Wanda would likely want more information about what exactly happened, and what this meant for them going forward, but Natasha didn't have all the answers yet and wasn't sure how to get them.

When Wanda did eventually wake, she peppered Natasha's face with kisses, before getting up and heading to the kitchen. She was hungry, and figured Natasha would be too.

As she rooted through the freezer for something easy to make, Natasha joined her in the kitchen, hoisting herself up to sit on the counter opposite the oven. Wanda grabbed them both a soda from the fridge, and Natasha opened hers right away and drank deep from the can.

When Wanda had loaded the frozen pizza she had found onto a tray, and into the oven, she then lifted her own soda, opened it, and turned to look at Natasha.

Her face had changed slightly, and Natasha gulped. She was in trouble.

"Firstly," Wanda began, "I am glad you're home, and happy that you aren't visibly injured."

Natasha went to open her mouth to confirm that she was fine, but thought better of it when Wanda lowered her brow. She wasn't finished.

"However, if you ever go away on a mission like that again, I don't care how big or small. You need to keep in touch with me."

Natasha waited, figuring there was more. She was correct.

"I have been worried sick, and I know you were probably busy, but you could have been dead, or captured, or anything, and I didn't know. I wouldn't know. This isn't the Avengers anymore Natasha, if something had happened to you and Yelena, how would I know? How would any of us know?"

Natasha hadn't considered this, and didn't know how to reply.

"I don't want to be mad at you," Wanda thought aloud, "I don't think I am mad. I'm just- I just needed to explain this. We're partners, and I just need you to remember that. You've worked alone for so long, and then you had a team, and maybe that team isn't a thing anymore, but you still have me. I don't want to be the partner waiting at home, worrying alone. I need you to remember that I deserve to be kept out of the dark."

Natasha nodded, "I know you wanted to come with me-"

"That's not what I'm saying, Natasha. I knew you needed to do this with Yelena. I just needed to know that you weren't dead."

"I guess that's fair. I'm sorry."

Wanda smiled, before taking another drink of soda.

"I can't imagine the next time I'll be going anywhere without you love, but I will try to communicate better if I do."

"Don't try, just do," Wanda smirked, "It's the modern age, a text would do."

Natasha chuckled. On the bare bones of it, their conversation was one that most couples could relate to. It was nice to have relatively small problems to conquer together, instead of world ending ones.