Chapter 29 - Tony

Natasha POV

Tony's question hung in the air for a moment, as I processed the shock I was feeling at his presence. I subtly took a deep breath to steady myself.

"That depends," I replied.

"On?" Tony smiled as he stood.

"On whether this is a friendly visit."

"Are you worried I've filled Ross in?" he laughed, "We're not exactly the best of friends right now."

"Trouble in paradise already?" I replied, lowering my weapon.

"Communication issues. He calls, I don't answer. He doesn't really like that."

"Yeah, I guess he wouldn't."

As much as Tony appeared genuine, and this didn't seem like a set up, I had never had this much in my life to lose, so my guard remained firmly up.

"I've heard he's not your biggest fan either," Tony added, "Well, even less so than usual."

I shrugged. I didn't really care what Ross thought of me anymore, not that I ever really did.

"I'm surprised you managed to get this far, considering how busy you've been since you left the compound," Tony continued.

"I'm retired."

"You know as well as I do that we don't really retire do we, Romanoff?"

He pulled out his cell phone from the inside of his jacket, and with a flick of his wrist it began projecting a video out into the room. The visual was familiar, but the angle was not.

"Where did you get that?"

"A giant flying assassin school is blown out of the sky, and you think someone wouldn't record it?"

I guessed his question was rhetorical, so I didn't answer.

Tony took a seat back on the couch, and gestured for me to join him.

I scoffed, "You do know this is my trailer, right?"

"Well, from what I've heard you're not living here anymore are you, Natasha? Or, should I say Nathalié?"

I sighed and shook my head, I had forgotten about how much of a song and dance Tony made of everything.

"If you know so much, why are you here?" I asked, as I pulled a dining chair closer to the couch and took a seat on it.

"In the trailer?"

"In Norway. You don't seem to have any questions that you couldn't answer yourself already."

"I wanted to see you."

"Why?"

"I don't know. To check in? I've never been to Norway."

"Trailers in the sticks don't really seem like your thing."

"It's cosy," he smiled, "I'll give you that."

"Well, my house is nicer."

"This one?"

He quickly did something on his phone, and the paused video feed then changed to a picture of our home.

"Tony, what the hell?"

"What?"

"You're starting to piss me off."

"I take an interest in my team's lives, is that a crime?"

"I told you, I'm retired."

"And I told you, I don't believe you."