Chapter 22 - Clean

Karoline called them back early the next day to confirm the payment details for the house, and to let them know that they could pick the keys up on Friday, which was only two days away. It was all moving very quickly compared to the normal process of buying a house, but for Wanda and Natasha it couldn't come quick enough.

So, that Wednesday was spent packing away anything they hadn't already packed, and making lists of the things they might need for the new house. It became very clear, very quickly, that they had a lot more to get than they had, especially for the kitchen, but they both agreed they could get those things over time. After all, they had nothing but time in their future.

Thursday was cleaning day, much to Natasha's dismay.

"I still don't get why we're doing this," she stated for the umpteenth time as she climbed on a chair to reach the top of the cabinets with a damp cloth.

"I've already told you," Wanda mumbled, her head in the back of one of the lower cabinets, "It's bad luck to leave a home dirty."

Natasha could only sigh in reply as she leaned over to reach the very back of the cabinet, but jumped when her hand touched something unpleasant.

"Ah! Fuck!" she shouted as she wobbled on the chair, causing Wanda to poke her head out of the cabinet and instinctively steady her partner using her magic.

"What happened?"

"Something sticky," Natasha replied with a disgusted face, stepping down off the chair, "Thank you for that by the way."

Wanda giggled at Natasha's apparent repulsion, "You've lived the life you've lived, and something sticky in the kitchen makes you disgusted?"

Natasha shrugged, "I'm complicated."

She moved away from the kitchen, and focused her attention elsewhere. Wanda didn't mind though, and finished up the kitchen herself. They had tried to keep the bare essentials out of boxes, but she forgot in the middle of it all, so when dinner time rolled around they quickly came to realise that everything they needed to cook with had been packed away.

Wanda reached to open the boxes, but Natasha put a hand out to stop her.

"I can just go get us stuff from the diner," she suggested.

"I don't really want breakfast for dinner."

"How about pizzas or something?"

"Where from?" Wanda replied, her mind straying to lovingly think about the New York pizza she had taken for granted all those times they had ordered it at the compound.

"The store?"

"Frozen?"

"Probably."

Wanda sighed, "Fine. Only because I'm too tired to cook anyway."

Natasha leaned over to kiss her on the head, and then grabbed the keys to the truck and headed to the store.

While she was gone Wanda finished up by cleaning the inside of the windows, and by the time she was finished, Natasha was climbing the steps to come back inside.

"Oven is warm," Wanda greeted.

"Hello to you too," Natasha laughed.

"Sorry. I'm hungry."

"Good. I bought three."

"Three pizzas?"

"Are you complaining?"

"Absolutely not."

Three pizzas and a couple of glasses of wine later, the two crawled into bed, ready for the next day to come.