Chapter 21 - Surprises

"Thank you so much, Karoline," Nastasha replied with a hushed voice, before hanging up the phone and taking in a deep sigh of relief. Her warm breath mixed with the cold morning air, and she watched it fade into the distance with a smile on her face.

It had been a week since they viewed the house, and the two were beginning to lose hope that it would be theirs, having not heard anything from Karoline since they put in their offer. It just turns out that the viewings went on all week, but thankfully no one was willing to go over what they had bid, and the owners finally made the decision to accept their offer. They were particularly happy that they were able to pay for it outright, so it would be a quick turn around with keys being exchanged in no time.

Wanda was still asleep when Natasha got the call, and she couldn't wait to tell her the good news. However, it was still early, and they had been up late the night before watching movies so she decided to let her sleep a little longer.

Natasha didn't trust herself not to wake her, so instead of heading back inside, she ducked only her head into the trailer so that she could grab the keys to the quad that had been sitting beside the door. Keys in hand, she hopped on, and took a quick ride into town thinking that she could grab breakfast to go from the diner to surprise Wanda with.

When she pulled up, as excited as she was for pancakes, something in the parking lot caught her eye. A burnt orange truck, slightly dented, and a little worse for wear with rust, but it had a very appealing "FOR SALE" sign in the window. Natasha knew they needed a better mode of transport, and it would be nice for Wanda to have the freedom to drive again. On top of that, as they were now moving, this would make much more sense to get everything to the new house.

She couldn't see anyone around the lot, so headed inside and placed their breakfast order. As she waited for their food, she decided to ask the man working on the register if he knew anything about it, and was thankful her Norwegian had improved.

"Oh, the truck?" he replied, "That's Adriens."

"Who is Adrien?" Natasha asked.

"He's right over there," the worker replied, and pointed to a table occupied by an older man near the window.

Natasha nodded, and headed over to Adrien to have a chat. Thankfully despite looking a little gruff and grumpy, he was more like a teddy bear and was more than happy to talk to Natasha about the truck, and the two headed outside to look at it.

His accent was very thick, but she knew at least that although it was old, it was reliable, and the only reason he was selling it was because he decided to treat himself to a brand new truck before he was too old to enjoy it.

This was all music to Natasha's ears, and while she thought Wanda might be a little irked that she didn't get to see it beforehand, Natasha went ahead and told Adrien she was interested in buying it.

"Wonderful," he smiled, "For a lady as lovely as yourself, I will do you a deal, so long as you promise to take great care of my first love here."

"Of course," Natasha nodded.

They exchanged cash, and Adrien handed Natasha back a little money so that she could buy fuel, as was the custom. Natasha thanked him, took the keys and then headed back inside to grab the food. A truck, a house, and pancakes? It was a busy morning.

As she set the food in the passenger seat, she was delighted to hear the hum of the engine when she turned the key in the ignition, and was glad Adrien was true to his word. She adjusted the mirrors, and then realised one problem in her plan. What to do with the quad? She could come back for it later, but didn't really want to leave it here just in case something happened to it.