Chapter 38 - Snow

Natasha POV

"I told you, Valentine's Day really isn't a big deal," I insisted, as Wanda pushed me closer towards the door of our home.

"I heard you, but I'm doing this anyway," Wanda protested in return, "Just let me do this."

"What am I supposed to do for two hours? It's almost dark."

"Try three," she mumbled.

"Three hours? You're kicking me out of my nice warm house for three hours?" I laughed, as I pulled on my boots.

Wanda had spilled the beans that she had something planned for me, the night before. We had just said goodnight and she started to ramble about how she wanted to do something, and that it was a surprise so I had to be out of the house, and out of her way. She picked a perfect time to mention it as I was half asleep and so glad to be in bed that I agreed.

However, on waking up to the fairly heavy fall of snow that came overnight, I did hope she changed her mind. The fire was lit, the house was toasty, and the cold dark outside wasn't very appealing.

"I'll be as fast as I can," Wanda assured me, "Do you have your phone on you?"

I nodded as I couldn't speak because the scarf she had pulled around my neck covered my mouth.

"Fine, I promise I'll be fast."

I pulled the scarf down slightly to give one last protest, "You do realise Valentine's Day was two days ago?"

"I remember," she smirked. I doubt I would ever forget that night either, and was now glad for the scarf covering the flush of red that crept up my neck at the reminder.

"Now please, go and go far."

"Far?"

"Just away from the house, please."

"This had better be good."

"I really hope so," she quickly replied, before pecking me on the forehead and opening the door.

I remained lingering for a moment, until she gave me a gentle shove outside.

"I love you," she reminded me with a smile, before the door was closed.

I considered hanging around for a few minutes to try and annoy her, but I hadn't seen her this excited and nervous in a long time, so I thought better of it. Instead, I pulled the keys to the truck out of my pocket and headed towards the driveway.

I started the engine, and put the heat on high before pulling out of the driveway. I wasn't too sure on where to go. It wasn't super late, but due to the weather I would imagine the town would be pretty quiet, so I decided to head to our favourite coffee spot and kill an hour or so there.

It only took a few minutes to get there, but I quickly came to realise as I pulled into the empty parking spot outside, that it was shut. I guessed that it was so quiet they didn't see the point in being open. I didn't blame them, anyone with any sense would be at home. It wasn't like the Norwegians weren't used to a bit of snow, but this seemed to be the last real snowfall of the Winter and the novelty of it was well and truly over.

I kept the engine running as I thought about where to go next. I considered heading to the trailer, it was overdue a visit, but I couldn't imagine Wanda being pleased if I got stuck out there for the night.

I ran through all the places I could think of, but nothing was appealing to me, at least nothing within a safe driving distance, so I switched off the engine and pushed my seat back. From where I was parked I could see down onto the lakefront. Of course, there wasn't anyone around but it was kind of nice to watch the snow all the same. It was a hell of a lot better than standing in it.