23 | nightmares

— ROSANNA WAS SLEEPING PEACEFULLY when she was woken by Sirius kicking her leg

— ROSANNA WAS SLEEPING PEACEFULLY when she was woken by Sirius kicking her leg. She was about to get annoyed at him when she saw he was still asleep, sweat dripping down his forehead. He was gripping on tightly to the covers that were draped over his body. Rosanna, with a strong worry building up inside her, placed a hand on his arms. She shook it gently as she called his name but with no avail.

"Sirius, wake up" she said louder and this time he woke up, his eyes bursting open - filled with fear. "Hey, you're okay my love" Rosanna whispered as she rubbed the pad of her thumb on his arm. "Rosanna" Sirius let out a sigh before wrapping his arms around her stomach. "You're okay" She whispered as she ran her fingers through his hair.

Sirius used to get nightmares a lot during the war. Some of the things he had seen had really stuck with him and stayed with him even in his sleep. "Did you have a bad dream?" Rosanna asked and she could feel him nod against her chest. "Do you want to talk about it?" She asked gently only be met with silence for a while.

"You died. You died and you left me all alone and it was all my fault. I could've saved you" He mumbled against your skin making your heart break slightly. "Sweetheart, I'm okay, I'm right here, I'm not going anywhere" Rosanna reassured him as she rubbed circles on his back. "I'm not going anywhere" Rosanna repeated quieter this time.

His breathing had begun to calm down and Rosanna reached over and picked up the glass of water on her bedside table. She handed it to him and let him take a drink. "I'm sorry for waking you" He sighed as placed the glass down. "No, you have nothing to apologise for" Rosanna insisted as she looked over at him with those eyes that he loved so very much.

Rosanna squeezed his hand before getting up from the bed. "Where are you going?" He asked. "I'm getting you a new shirt, that one's soaked with sweat my love" Rosanna told him as she walked over to the dresser and opened a drawer and grabbed and old black shirt that was on top. She walked back over to him where he was now sat in the edge of the bed. She helped him take of his shirt and slip on his new one.

She took his old one and walked into the bathroom, placing it in the washing basket. Rosanna walked back out into the bedroom and over to Sirius who was still in the same place as she had left him. "You're okay now my love" Rosanna said as she stood in between his legs, stroking her fingers through his hair. "It just felt so real" he said as he hugged her waist, his forehead resting against the top of her chest.

She kissed his hair before sighing quietly. "You need to get out of the house" She decided. "And how'd you suggest I do that?" He asked, not moving his head. "You can turn into your Animagus form and I can act as if I'm taking my dog for a walk. No one would know any different" Rosanna suggested making Sirius look up at her.

"You've been cooped up in here too long, it's not healthy" She shook her head. "You know I'd never say no to defying the rules" Sirius said, his mood picking up slightly at the mention of leaving the house. Rosanna smiled down at him before climbing back into bed next to him. This time instead of her laying on his chest it was the opposite way. Rosanna had to admit she did quite like it when the roles were reversed.

As Sirius lay in her chest he could hear and feel her begin to gently hum the tune to 'Love of My Life' by Freddie Mercury. Sirius remembered when Rosanna had broken the news to him about Freddie's passing. He had been asking if they had released any new albums and Rosanna's face got sort of sad. She told him what had happened and it was safe to say Sirius was devastated for the next few days.

"When I grow older I will be there at your side to remind you how I still love you" She sang quietly and gently as Sirius slowly drifted off into a peaceful sleep without any nightmares.

...

Sirius sat in the living room, waiting eagerly for Rosanna to come down stairs. He was desperate to go on the walk even if he was in his dog form. He stood up when he heard Rosanna skipping down the stairs. She was wearing a cream jumper and a pair of old mom jeans. She pulled on her black jacket and hat as it was quite cold and frosty outside.

"You ready?" She asked him with a smile and his reply was turning into a dog who's tail wagged wildly. Rosanna unlocked and the door and opened it up and Sirius was finally free. She walked down the stairs laughing as Sirius ran down the street. She decided she'd walk with him down to the park that was a few streets away. Eventually, he decided to trot along beside her as they walked, occasionally licking her hand making her laugh.

Soon enough they reached the park and Rosanna opened up the gate to let Sirius and herself in. They walked over to a bench in the middle of the large park and sat down. Sirius sat in-between Rosanna's legs as in his dog form he couldn't sit on the bench. He sat quite happily breathing in the fresh air as Rosanna stroked his shaggy fur. He titled his head up to look at Rosanna and ended up hitting his nose against hers making her burst out laughing as she held her nose with a smile.

That laugh. She had hated it ever since she had heard it in a recording. Sirius on the other hand thought it was the best thing her ever heard. Her smile that could make the whole world stop. It brightened his day every time he saw it. As cheesy as these things sound it's what made him fall in love with her in the first place.

"What a cute dog" someone said making them look up and see and elderly woman and her partner smiling at him. "What's his name" The man asked as he scratched Sirius's head. "Snuffles" Rosanna replied with a bright smile. "Oh what a cute name" The woman laughed. Rosanna could hear Sirius let out a loud huff after she said he was called Snuffles.

"We lost our dog last month" The woman said a small sad smile. "I'm very sorry that must have been very hard" Rosanna said sympathetically. "It was, we had Spots for eighteen years" She explained making Rosanna's eyebrows raise in surprise. "That's a long time, I bet he had a good life" Rosanna replied.

"He certainly did, we won't bother you any longer dear, goodbye Snuffles" The woman said as she patted the dogs head before her and her partner walked away, arms linked. "Yes, goodbye Snuffles" Rosanna laughed as she taunted him with the name. Sirius growled and huffed at her. "Come on, it's a cute name" Rosanna gushed as she opened her arm.

Sirius shook his head and began to trot off. "Oh come on don't be a baby" Rosanna shouted as she began to run after him making his trot turn into a speedy run. There was zero chance of Rosanna ever catching him, she was a fast runner but not that fast. Still it was quite a lot of fun. It reminded her of when they used to do this at Hogwarts only it was usually with James.

It tended to be after they had pranked her one way or another and she had hunted them down and chased after them.

And now those pranks would never happen again.