Chapter 17- Traces

"wait for me!"

Kagura declared as she was desperately trying to catch up to the shadow ninja.

They've searched around the village to find traces of hanabi. When they couldn't, they decided to follow the master's instructions and went into the dark forest. Which was where they would have to pass by to encounter this new "clan" that was supposedly going to destroy their village.

Hayabusa assumed hanabi would go after them. She had to. If the rumours were true, she wouldn't risk her village for anything.

Remembering how hanabi was always brave and passionate about fighting, even when she had to face hundreds of enemies, made his heart soften.

He knew she would make this sacrifice for them. That was why he had to stop her before she managed to do that.

Despite the things his master said about hanabi, he still believed in her. He knew she would never betray them. Or at least that's what he wanted to belive.

Kagura's whining managed to bring him back to reality.

"how much longer senpai? I'm tired!"

She asked.

"we already took like... 5 breaks coming here. You should've rested while you had the chance."

Hayabusa turned back and started walking without paying any attention to her. He still cared about her but all the things she said about hanabi were annoying him.

Kagura eventually stopped whining and started walking faster to catch up to him.

She managed to get close and started walking next to him.

"so.. Hayabusa senpai.. We are finally alone aren't we?"

Kagura asked but didn't get an answer back. So she kept speaking.

"I mean.. I know we work best when we are alone.. In the past we always had to watch out for hana-"

Kagura stopped speaking as she saw hayabusa giving her a cold glare.

After a while hayabusa spoke.

"Kagura.. I know you two weren't best friends ot anything... But you almost seem happy that she isn't here."

Kagura immediately talked back.

"n-no way! I care about hanabi chan as much as you! I'm just..."

Kagura looked away and continued

"she hurted me alot you know.. And you don't even believe me! Plus she kept messing up our fights!"

"that's not true kagura. She was only doing her job as a party member-"

"but we had to save her so many times! If it wasn't for her we would've-"

Hayabusa glared at her again

"if it wasn't for her we would've been dead."

Kagura stared at him without saying anything

"I know she wasn't that...welcoming towards you but you have to stop talking like that about her. She's going to be my wife as you know."

Those words made kagura's blood boil. The fact that hanabi got to be his heir and she didn't. She looked away and started walking without looking back at him.

After a long walk, hayabusa was again lost in his thoughts. The thing that brought him back this time was a scream he heard from kagura.

He quickly launched towards her side.