Chapter 20- Savior

Hanabi couldn't believe it. She thought she was dreaming. But the scene she was faced with was one of her biggest nightmares.

The village slowly burning to pieces as everyone ran for their lives. It was like a reminder to her about what could happen to her own village if she couldnt stop the raiders.

Both of them were standing still until hanabi saw a little kid being chased by some raiders. She immediately started running towars the child and ignored hanzo's voice yelling at her.

She quickly caught up to the raiders and pulled out her hinganbana. Carefully shielding the kid, she stood high in front of them.

"who are you?"

She asked.

The mysterious raiders looked at each other and back to hanabi. Realising she wasn't getting an answer anyway, she dashed towards them to attack.

One of the raiders tried to raise his hand up but realised his arm was already cut off. The other one tried to run towards the injured but he found himself on the ground with his lower torso gone.

Hanabi's fast moves combined with the hinganbana was able to cut them in a half without them even noticing her presence behind them.

She helped the child find her mother before deciding to help everyone else. She looked around to see thousands of raiders. And yet hanzo wasn't there.

Did he really leave her here? Was this his plan all along? To run away after facing the raiders and let hanabi die alone? She felt betrayed, scared almost. But that didnt stop her from fighting.

Her new tricks she learned from hanzo were helping her sneakily murder them all. She was so fast and swift that the raiders were losing their limbs without seeing where the attack came from.

When faced with bigger crowds of raiders, hanabi had to use combat. As she didn't want to draw attention to hinganbana's powers and get more raiders gathered.

She was desperately running around the village, helping as many people as she could. Also a part of her was hoping to find hanzo but she denied it.

She noticed that tthe raiders were not only robbing the small village, but they were also trying to kidnap a bunch of children. she did her best to prevent that. But it was a weird thing for raiders to do.

Even though she was very quick, the bigger groups of raiders managed to hurt her as she was now injured all over. Her covers that she was wearing to hide her identity were destroyed. anyone could now see the sakura ninja in all her glory fighting.

After running around even more she noticed a bright blue light shining in the distance. She immediately knew what it was. Or rather WHO it was.

She watched as kagura and hayabusa fight alongside each other. Weirdly it didn't hurt as much as it did before but it still did.

"snap out of it hanabi! You've got a whole village you need to save! You dont have time for them."

She thought.

She turned her back and was about to leave when she sensed something drifting through the wind behind her.

She immediately jumped to the right landing on the ground and watched as kagura's umbrella casted a spell right where she just was.

If it wasn't for her sensing it, the spell would've hit her.

"did she just--"

"kagura wait! That doesn't look like a raider. Who is there?"

Hayabusa asked.

"oh fu-"

Now realising they noticed her, hanabi had to run. Quick.

She casted a light spell using her hibganbana and blinded them as she ran away.

"wait wha--- why did that look like hana--"

She heard hayabusa's voice fade away as she ran faster. While she was distracted, she failed to hear another raider jumping towards her.

She closed her eyes as her body started rolling on the ground from the impact.

She failed to get up as the raider kicked her hard on her stomach and gripped her neck.

A part of her wished to be saved. But the other part wanted to be the savior.

She knew she couldn't wait for someone to stop this. So she grabbed her hinganbana and yelled----

Before she could cast the spell, the raiders dead body fell next to her. He was beheaded.

Slowly pushing the body away from herself, she looked up to see who killed him. And to her surprise, the akuma ninja was still there. And he had just saved her life.

"I-I thought-"

"what? That I'd leave you here?"

"maybe.. I mean..after..."

"that doesn't matter right now. I'm not leaving you. Get up we still have to fight."

With that, he grabbed her arm and pulled her to her feet. Before turning back and fighting more raiders.

Hanabi was shocked yet again. Not in a bad way. She was just shocked that the "monster" she didn't even trust would go as far as saving her life, after she insulted him the way she did.

Deep down she knew that wasnt how she felt about him. It never has been. It was just the stress and-- maybe the thought of hayabusa and kagura together that raged her to say those. And now that he was fighting for he sake of these villagers, she was now sure. Sure that he wasn't a monster. And the weight of the things she said to him were crushing her and making her heart ache in regret. She didn't know what to do in that exact moment.

"HANABI! COME ON FIGHT WHAT ARE YOU DOING!?"

okay. She had to fight for now. It was no time to get lost in her feelings.

Around 20 minutes and 100 dead bodies later, hanabi and hanzo were fighting alongside eachother in perfect harmony. It wasnt like kagura and hayabusa were hayabusa would fight and kagura would protect, instead they were both protecting eachothers backs and fighting at the same time. Their duels and practices proved to be useful.

For the first time in a long time hanabi felt like a part of something, a part of a group. She felt useful and powerful while fighting alongside hanzo. Or maybe it was just hanzo that made her feel that way--

The village was unfortunately almost destroyed at that point. Most of villagers managed to flee but the buildings were crumbled. Also the raiders were now backing off and running away. It was almost like the raid was over. There were 4 legendary ninjas on that village protecting it. Who would've thought of that. They of course had to run away.

Seeing that the last raiders were running away, Hanabi allowed herself to collapse in exhaustion. She was too injured and too tired to move any longer. Hanzo on the other hand seemed fine, but he failed to hide his injuries.

"hey..hanzo.."

Hanabi started speaking to him without looking behind her. She didn't have the courage to look him in the eyes again.

"yes?"

Hanzo replied

"about..... about what I said.. earlier.. . I'm... I'm really---"

She heard a loud thud behind her and immediately got up and looked back.

And there was hayabusa, standing behind hanzo with his sword pierced through hanzo's bare chest. As hanzo collapsed on his knees.

Hayabusa pulled the sword out and looked at hanabi.

"its okay... You're safe now."