Part 2

After Lucy Gambaro had been found deceased, the prison was put on lockdown. The nurse determined Juice's death was from a heart attack, but Vera Bennett was unconvinced that foul play wasn't involved. Since Vera suspected Joan Ferguson had a hand in anything underhanded or violent that took place at Wentworth, Vera had made up her mind to prove that Joan had killed Juice. That was why she was standing in front of the locked gates of H5. She was going to question Joan. Unlike everyone else, Vera didn't believe that Joan couldn't remember who she was. Joan had proved to be a hell of an actress. Vera could admire that quality in her former boss. Joan had convinced everyone she didn't remember anything of her former life, but Vera was determined to prove that Joan's act was a lie.

Classical music floated through the air in Joan's cell to drown out the sounds coming from the cell next to hers. Lou and Reb were extremely loud when they fucked. The only way that Joan had of escaping the animalistic noises was with her music.

Joan was focused on analyzing Stevie Simmons when she felt something change in the atmosphere around her. She was going to have a visitor. At the sound of the gate opening outside her cell door, Joan sat up on her bed. Vera was coming to visit her. Joan had half been expecting Vera, as the woman was relentless in her pursuit to prove that Joan would never breathe the free air of the outside world again, but Joan hadn't been sure of when or how. Her former protege was taking a page out of Joan's old tactics by visiting her late at night. A strange sort of anticipation that felt like anxiety gathered in the pit of Joan's stomach. She employed the part she had learned to play as Kath and waited on the bed for Vera to open her door.

She didn't have to wait long. Vera opened her door only moments later and looked into the lair of the lioness. Vera straightened her back and raised herself to her full height, and Joan wondered if it was to make herself look more menacing or powerful. Vera still wore her uniform with the pride of a woman who had never confronted her own ill-doings. Joan could read it in Vera's actions as she had carried herself with that same pride for years. Joan ad, however, learned her lesson. That level of ego would only lead to one's downfall.

Vera motioned with a single finger for Joan to come silently, and without a word, Joan got up and followed along behind Vera. Linda Miles was standing just outside the unit and flanked the duo throughout the twisting and turning halls until they came to a door in the center of the prison. Joan wasn't impressed when Vera showed her into the boiler room, but she let the reaction roll through her like she had been learning to do from talking to Dr. Miller. Linda slammed the door shut behind Joan, sealing the two women inside.

"How did you kill Lucy Gambaro?" Vera asked, getting straight to the point as she crossed her arms across her chest.

"You think I killed that poor woman they found in the showers today?" Joan asked, fake shock spreading over her features.

Vera smirked in disbelief at the statement.

"That poor woman? You cut her tongue out, and decided to finish the job, Joan! Stop playing games with me!" Vera screeched, letting her anger fly.

"I'm sorry. I don't understand what you mean. I keep telling you I am Kath Maxwell. Maybe Joan Ferguson was capable of that level of violence, but I am not. I didn't kill anyone." Joan replied, acting bereft and confused by the conversation.

Juicy Lucy had deserved a more terrifying death, but Joan wasn't going to make that statement. Joan supposed karma had finally caught up to Juice, and it was a bit poetic that the woman had died squealing in the same room she had violently gang-raped Joan in.

"God, I wish I'd let you hang! Do you know how many times I wish I left you swinging on that basketball net!? I might actually be able to get a full night's sleep! I wouldn't have to worry about you trying to kill Grace just to hurt me." Vera complained, and the accusation that Joan would kill Grace to hurt Vera was hard for Joan to comprehend.