Part 13

Dr. Miller was reading through the information in the file carefully. He figured to better help Joan he needed to know something about the woman who was approaching her.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Stephanie Simmons

DOB: October 29th, 1988

Age: 31

Height: 5'6

Weight: 135

Tattoos/Distinguishing Features: Tattoo of Red Cardinal on lower back/Scar across middle of back/scarring on inside of thighs from burns.

Arrested for: Assault with a deadly weapon, attempted murder, possession of illegal substances, prostitution

Father: Adde Simmons

Mother: Maureen Simmons (Deceased)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

He was interrupted in his research when his phone rang.

"Dr. Miller." He said crisply, shutting the file for later.

"This is Will Jackson, Greg. Do you have a moment to speak or are you with one of the prisoners?"

"I don't have another appointment until this afternoon." Greg replied.

"I won't keep you long, but I thought I would inform you that prisoner Simmons you had requested to meet with has been confined to the slot. Drugs were found in her cell this morning." Will said, and Greg detected something in the man's voice that sounded kin to stress.

"That is unfortunate." Greg said, tapping his foot in response. She had been arrested on several drug charges he had noted.

"Yes. That is why your request has been denied." Will explained.

"All prisoners need mental as well as physical care, respectfully. Wouldn't it be more fortuitous to let me meet with her especially considering the incident this morning? I haven't had my first consult to see how she is settling in. Prison can be a shock to the system." Greg argued, his brow furrowing.

"It is against protocol and since she doesn't have a history of mental illness, I can't make an exception." Will replied, his tone regretful.

"As soon as she is released, you can meet with her."

"How long will she be in the slot?" Greg asked, thinking of Joan in the back of his mind.

"Since it's a drug charge and the guards claim she tried to attack Miss Bennett and assaulted another, she'll pull the entire two weeks. Unless I have good reason to release her earlier." Will replied and Dr. Miller found his last sentence interesting.

"Good reason?" Greg asked.

"I have another call. I have to go." Will said, and the next thing Greg heard was a beeping on the line.

He put down the receiver and thought about the conversation for a moment before pulling out his schedule. He had some free time. He dialed the guard and requested Joan to be brought to his office as soon as possible. He needed to check on her. She had barely started working through her feelings for this other woman and now there had been upheaval. Since she claimed that all her relationships fell to dust, he wanted to see how she was coping and give assistance if he could.

Joan was on her way to the kitchens deep in thought of her current situation when the guard found in the hallway and told her about Dr. Miller. She followed the guard and was still thinking about her silent plans when she passed by Vera's office. The door was open, and their eyes met. It was long enough for Vera to see something in her former colleague's eyes she hadn't seen since the first year of Joan's governorship, but she couldn't put it into words. She just knew it made her feel less confident of her battle strategy. She thought Joan would have looked more affected by the loss of her pawn. Vera straightened herself in her chair and flipped on the feed of the camera of the slot as her mind started to overthink her plans.