Part 22

Content in more ways than one, Stevie fell asleep quickly from the comfort of warm arms around her. Joan, however, had too many thoughts wrestling in her mind. She didn't regret a moment of this, but now she had to protect what was hers. Stevie was completely her responsibility now as was the child she was carrying, and that filled Joan with an anxiety she'd never felt before. She could not fail again. Her second most prominent thought was how she wanted to brush her teeth. She had enjoyed the taste of the ripe young woman in her arms, but the logical part of her brain was now functioning. She had to get clean. She ever so gently rolled Stevie over, making sure not to wake her, covered her with the blanket, and pulled her clothes on. The gate was closed and the lights out in the outer part of their unit. Stevie sighed as she was leaving, and Joan pecked her forehead before she turned out the light and closed the door behind her.

"Hey, Kath."

The warm feminine voice filled Joan's ears, and she blushed as she turned to see Marie seated on the couch with a book and her headphones in her lap.

"Marie." Joan replied, unsure of what to say as she searched the woman's face for judgement.

"You two never showed up at the shower." Marie said, trying to ease the tension.

"I brought her back something to eat. It's in the fridge if she wants it later."

"Yes, she's asleep." Joan pointed at Marie. "We need to talk, but first I have to..." Joan was unsure of how to say it, so she just pointed to her cell door.

"Go on. I'll put the kettle." Marie said with a wink.

Joan didn't even nod as she went to her cell and shut it behind her. She was unsure of what she was feeling. She was completely sated in some ways, and in others she was unsettled. It wasn't toward Stevie. She was just unaccustomed to others knowing about her relationship. After all the only time it had been revealed in her past, Jianna had died. She felt she could trust Marie. Marie had been the only nonjudgmental attitude in this whole damn place. Joan sighed before she took to making herself presentable, trying to steady her mind for their conversation. By the time Joan stepped out of her cell, Marie was already sitting on the couch with her cup of tea and one for Joan on the table. Joan straightened her back before she ventured over, noting no sounds coming from Lou and Reb's cell. They must have already worn themselves out for the evening, Joan presumed before sitting in the farthest chair and the closest to Stevie's cell. Marie got up and moved closer when Joan crooked a finger at her.

"Don't want to wake anyone up." Joan explained as Marie sat on her end of the couch.

"I am assuming whatever I hear should be kept to myself?" Marie asked, just to clarify, and Joan shook her head in agreement.

"I...want to take you into my confidence." Joan said lowly.

"About Stevie?" Marie asked and Joan nodded as she continued.

"It is concerning Stevie, her safety, and my own current predicament." Joan said lowly as she leaned forward.

"I am taking a chance here, Marie. It could affect the rest of my life if you-"

"Does this have to do with your memory returning?" Marie asked, her voice barely above a whisper as she also leaned forward. Joan raised an eyebrow and simply nodded once.

"You remember who you are?" Marie asked and Joan nodded slowly yes.

"Is that why Miss Bennett is after you so hard? Because she suspects?"

"She is the reason for my memory recollection in the first place. She used a...certain method that jogged something loose in my brain." Joan stiffened at the memory before she tapped her forehead.