Part 6

Joan and Stevie were just leaving the showers when Jake Stewart came around the corner toward them. Stevie noticed an immediate hitch in Joan's step that wouldn't have been noticeable to the untrained eye. Stevie immediately became cautious of the man, and she examined him with her own learned observational skills. She would keep her eye on this one.

"Maxwell, you're late for work unit. Simmons, come with me." Jake barked, and Stevie looked to Joan. Although she had been hurt by the woman's rejection, she still trusted her implicitly.

"What is this concerning, Mr. Stewart?" Joan asked, immediately curious as to what he would want with her newest protectee.

"I've no idea." Jake replied, interested as to the why the question was being asked. "Governor wants a meeting."

Joan just shook her head in understanding but when Jake turned his back, she was able to whisper in Stevie's ear.

"Watch everything you say and do." Joan warned, glancing into the younger woman's eyes. Stevie nodded before following Mr. Stewart off, glancing back to Joan once more as she rounded the corner.

Joan narrowed her eyes and thought back to earlier in the day when Vera had seen her in the cafeteria with Stevie. This had to have something to do with Vera. It stank of her tactics. Joan became unsettled as she walked toward her workstation. Her mind whirled with her father's voice and her own insecurities of Stevie's true loyalty. It hadn't been long since she'd thought Vera had been loyal to her cause. Joan's gut twisted a million different ways as she remembered their interaction in the showers. Had she been too harsh with Stevie and inadvertently caused a rift that would turn the young woman against her in such a way it would cause her downfall? Would Stevie break under Vera's harsh attacks? The thought made Joan go into a murderous vision of burying Vera, Will, and Jake in the same spot that Brenda had dug her out of. She was glad to go about her kitchen duties for the moment. Maybe it would help the storm inside of her that threatened to break from her carefully constructed wall?

Stevie walked along silently behind Jake until they reached the elevator.

"So, you and Ferguson, eh?" He asked with a smile Stevie guessed was supposed to be charming. It didn't do a thing for calm her suspicions.

"I'm sorry, what are you referring to?" Stevie asked, acting as if she didn't know who he was speaking of.

"The woman you were with." Jake offered as the doors closed and they were taken up. "You two seem pretty close."

"Do you mean Kath?" Stevie asked, revealing nothing.

Jake just grunted as the door finally dinged open at the floor. Stevie once again followed him through the maze of offices until he stepped into an office.

"Margaret." Jake said with a pleasant smile as he addressed the secretary.

"Take her on in, Mr. Stewart. Miss Bennett is already inside." Margaret said with an easy smile which was the opposite of what Stevie was feeling. She took a deep breath before she walked through the open-door Jake held for her. Jake shook his head almost imperceptibly at Vera, but Stevie caught it before he left her alone with the two other adults.

"Miss Simmons." Will said, pointing at the empty chair.

"Have a seat."

"What is this about?" Stevie asked, her eyes taking in the room as well as the shorter brunette before she sat down. Stevie was still taller than Vera even in her prison issued shoes.

"Just checking on how you are settling in." Will said as he pointed to himself.

"I'm Mr. Jackson, and this is Miss Bennett."