Part 24

Joan's arms were crossed over her chest, her expression blank and deep in thought as she leaned back against the cold concrete of the wall. She was rolling over the events of the day when she heard the sinisterly familiar clicking of heels on the floor. She looked over to her left just as she heard them stop altogether.

"Joan, I don't recall you having a scheduled visit."
Vera said in a clipped tone.
"Who would want to come visit you after all? You are alone whether you go by Kath Maxwell or Joan Ferguson."

Joan's eyes rolled over the shorter woman, unsure of if she should respond at all. She decided against it.

"Oh, or are you waiting on your little puppet? I do recall seeing she had a scheduled visit with your own attorney. Interesting coincidence."
Vera poked, her nose rising higher in the air.
"I don't recall there being a need for an escort, however. We aren't in the medical unit. Go back to your cell, Joan."

Joan opened her mouth to speak, but she was cut off by a male voice to the other side of her.

"No need for that, Vera."
Will's voice was clear and crisp, and there wasn't much room for argument.
Vera looked at the man who was currently her superior and she grimaced at him.

"Don't you have the special spend to get to?"
Will asked and Vera scowled at Joan before turning on her heel, and going back the way she'd come. Will and Joan's eyes followed her until she was out of sight before Will looked at Joan.

"Sorry about that. Miss Bennett hasn't been herself lately."

Joan was a bit surprised that the man actually sounded apologetic.

"Wait as long as you need."
Will said, and Joan turned her head slightly at the side to look at the man.

"Why?"
She really was curious as to know why he had taken her side.

"You aren't causing anyone harm."
Will said simply, and Joan looked at the man deeper.

"No, I mean why are you kind to me? After all they say I've done as this Joan Ferguson."
Joan was interested to know. Was it a guilty conscience for burying her alive? Was it a need to assuage his own guilt? Or was it a fear that if he pushed her, his own sins would surface?

"You're an inmate under my charge. You haven't caused any harm to anyone in the time you've been back."
Will shrugged his shoulders.
"Why would I treat you different than the other prisoners?"

Stevie came out the door before Joan could think of what to say, and smiled when she saw her.

"Mr. Jackson? Can I still come and file that report?"
Stevie asked as she noticed the tall man standing there.

"Of course."
Will motioned to a female officer that Joan was unfamiliar with.
"As soon as Miss Simmons is finished with her search, escort her to my office. Oh, Kath, will you be her delegate?"

Stevie nodded at Joan and Joan slightly nodded at Will.

"Yes, Mr. Jackson."

"Then escort them both to my office."
Will corrected to the female officer and he walked off as Stevie moved toward the strip search room. Joan inwardly sighed, and wondered about what her attorney had told Stevie as she waited.

The search took all of five minutes and then the three women were heading upstairs to the governor's office.
Joan wanted to ask, but she knew it was unwise in front of the guard so she waited. She looked as calm as a statue, she was sure of that, but inside the questions were piling up. She took a deep breath before they entered Will's office.

"Just so you know, Miss Bennett has not been made aware of this meeting. I will speak to her after I have filed the paperwork."
Will explained and Stevie nodded as she sat down.