Part 37

Vera stepped up to the desk at the airport. Jake was behind her holding Grace who was sleeping in his arms.

"We have a flight to Brazil." Vera said as she handed over their passports and tickets. She waited as the woman typed and then smiled at Jake holding Grace before she turned back to her.

"Yes, ma'am. You're all set." The desk attendant said as she handed back the papers.

"Thank you!" Vera replied before they headed off. Unbeknownst to the couple, the woman nodded at an undercover Officer in the airport.

As soon as Vera and Jake were walking toward the security line, the man stepped up to them.

"Are you Vera Bennett and Jake Stewart?"

Vera looked at the man with a frown, and Jake's stomach dropped.

"Yes, who-"

"You're under arrest." The man replied as he pulled out his badge.
"I'm Detective Carlson."

"Whatever for?" Vera asked, disbelief washing over her as her world started crumbling before her eyes.
"I can't be arrested. I have a child."

Police surrounded them, and Vera looked to Jake holding Grace. The silver lining was she was still sleeping peacefully.

"Attempted murder, conspiracy to commit murder, kidnapping, and assault as well as trying to flee the country."
Detective Carlson said, his face emotionless.

"No! You don't understand! I can't be arrested!" Vera wailed and Grace awoke with a start and screamed.
"I have a daughter."

"You are both the parents of the child?" Officer Carlson asked.

"Yes." Jake replied grimly.

"The child will be picked up by a social worker and placed in foster care if another family member can't be reached." Carlson replied.

"She has no other family!" Vera wailed.

"There are my parents." Jake pointed out as Grace reached for Vera, seeking the safety of her mother.

"Shut up, Jake! This is your fucking fault!" Vera yelled as she grabbed Grace tightly and kissed her.
"I can't leave her. I can't!" Her eyes filled with tears as she clasped the baby to her.

"You would her rather be with strangers?" Jake asked at the biting words from Vera.

"I want her with me, you fucking piece of shit!" Vera yelled, and Grace wailed at the tensioncin her mother's body and tone.

"I understand this is difficult as her mother, ma'am, so I will let you say goodbye, but I have a job to do." Detective Carlson said, not unkindly but sternly.
"I need you to calm down."

Jake's own heart broke and he hugged Vera and Grace both. It was the first time Vera had accepted his affection since they'd broken up. It was possibly the first moment they ever felt like a true family, and it was over in a moment as Vera had to hand over Grace to a female Officer before they were both cuffed and led away. Vera felt like she was walking through wet cement as she was taken to the cruiser. She felt numb as an endless stream of tears rolled down her cheeks. Jake was just silent, his face blankly staring into the night. He'd played his hand, and he'd lost everything. His bad choices had finally caught up to him, but the reality hadn't yet. It hadn't caught up to either of them, but it surely would in a few hours time. Comeuppance in prison would torture them far more than Joan Ferguson ever could.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Will Jackson stopped outside of Stevie Simmons hospital room. He'd wanted to deliver this news himself. He didn't want the young woman to find out through the news or a phone call. It would be too cold and callous. If he'd found out about his wife that way, it would have been even worse than it was.