Chapter 12: You're Just Someone Who's In Love

February 1, 2018

February started off with Jihyo's birthday celebration. Nayeon, Jeongyeon, Sana, and Mina were invited over to Jihyo's apartment for a private party of her closest friends. Momo couldn't be there of course since Momo was an omega and Jihyo would be transitioning to alpha.

Jihyo's birth time was early in the morning so she had started her alpha transition even before the party began. After the rather dramatic transitions of Momo as an omega (with her sudden heat and lingering hormonal imbalance) and Sana to alpha (100% unexpected and 100% unsuppressed), it was nice to see Jihyo's transition being rather boring and uneventful. "It tingles," was the only description Jihyo nonchalantly gave after her friends asked how the changes were going.

They cheerfully sat down to a brunch that Jihyo and Mina had prepared together that morning. Sandwiches and quiches and assorted light pastries. The food was plentiful and it tasted great.

"Wow Jihyo, you two went all out with cooking. Good work!" Sana said appreciatively as they started eating. She kissed Mina lightly on the cheek. "Good work to you too darling."

"Mina and I just wanted everyone to have a nice meal together," Jihyo said with a nostalgic smile. "It feels like it's been one person hitting Maturity after the next lately and I don't think the six of us haven't been together since before Jeongyeon's birthday. I mean, even now Momo isn't here..."

Jeongyeon mumbled in agreement. "Yeah, it's been rough few months."

"Or maybe you're just being stubborn," Nayeon muttered very audibly in response. Jeongyeon instantly turned to glare at Nayeon and Nayeon glared right back. A tension crackled between them.

Mina felt goosebumps on the back of her skin as the two stared at each other in silence with frowns on their faces. Mina knew things haven't been right between Jeongyeon and Momo for a while now, which made sense since they broke up somewhere recently. But things between Nayeon and Jeongyeon didn't seem right either. It wasn't the time to help them discuss whatever issues they had with each other though. Today was about celebrating Jihyo's birthday. Before a fight could break out, Mina jumped up and asked if everyone was ready for cake. "Jeongyeon, do you mind giving me a hand?"

Jeongyeon quietly got up without complaint and followed Mina into Jihyo's kitchen. Mina pulled out the cake and placed the candles on it as Jeongyeon stood by the counter and seethed. "Is everything ok?"

"Perfectly ok," Jeongyeon said sarcastically. "Can't you see my cheerful smile?" She gave Mina an exaggerated smile and Mina laughed. "I'll be fine. Anyway, I'm glad to see you and Sana are ok again. You two really deserve to be happy together."

Mina smiled gently. She put the last few candles onto the cake. "Don't you and Momo deserve that kind of happiness too?"

"Conspiring with Nayeon, I see?" Jeongyeon said with an exasperated sigh. Mina gave her a confused look, which helped Jeongyeon to realize that this was not the case. "Nayeon's been pressuring me into meeting up with Momo lately," Jeongyeon explained. "I'm just not ready for it, but Nayeon won't listening to me."

"Ah..." Mina said carefully. "As friends? Or to get back together?"

Jeongyeon sighed again. "Honestly I'm not sure. You know how pushy Nayeon can be. As soon as she started talking about it, I just didn't want to hear it anymore. And Momo... She's so non-pushy that she hasn't even mentioned wanting to meet up even though Nayeon says Momo's 'dying to see me.'"

Mina was quiet as Jeongyeon talked. She listened patiently and gave a thoughtful reply. "What do YOU want to do when it comes to seeing Momo?"

"I don't know..." Jeongyeon replied wearily.