Skeptical- XV

Mirabel ran forward, with you still in her grasp as she frantically moved aside the guests. The music felt suffocating as your heart beat loudly in your chest. What happened to Casita? And your hand? You couldn't let anyone see. The stinging pain made you wince every now and then.

"The house is in danger!" Felix and Pepa stare at the girl incredulously before seeing you in tow. "The house is in danger!"

She repeats it more urgently the second time. The music abruptly stops and people stare at the both of you, moving away.

"The tiles where falling and there were cracks everywhere!" Like before, Mirabel had gestured wildly swinging about, dropping your arm. She was adamant and even pointed to you. "Y/n saw! She was there!"

The girl looks at you pleadingly, and you feel someone tap your shoulder. It's Camilo. He looks worried glancing at your eyes before turning to your hand. You can tell he has questions, but he let it be for now, choosing to rub your shoulders and stand by your side.

"The, the candle almost... almost went out..." At that mention Abuela stiffened. Her face stony and serious, voice hardened and concerned. She walked forward and stared at both you and Mirabel.

"Show me."

They're gone. A chilling fear filled with embarrassment flooded your system. The cracks had magically disappeared, the cut on your arm the only reminder that the tiles had broken.

Camilo turns to you, but with one look at your face he bites back his words like he did before. It helped, a reminder that someone was with you. And stupid, that over something so small you felt like you were about to cry.

"The cracks were there!" Mirabel stood convinced, and you ducked into Camilos chest like before, trying to avoid the judgemental stares. "they were everywhere!"

"The house was in trouble, the candle was-" She cut herself off at the face her grandmother made, her tone becoming more pleading as she desperately turned to you. "Abuela, I promise, ask-"

This time it's Camilo who shuts her down. His grip tightens on you while his brows furrowed. He shook his head, mouthing 'leave y/n out of this'.

"That's enough." Abuela's voice is sharp and low. More anger and annoyance seeping into her voice. It made you pity Mirabel, but your heart felt as if it was about to burst. The pain in your hand flooding your brain.

"There is nothing wrong with la casa Madrigal!" it's sickening how easily she changes her tone. Putting her hands up abuela smiles. "the magic is strong, and so are the drinks!"

You glance up to see mirabel standing off to the side like before, and it made your heart ache. Camilo patted your hair gently, reminding you that he was there is you needed anything.

As the elder started entertaining everyone, you spoke up, voice shaky and riddled with quiet pain. "Camilo, Camilo, Camilo, you have to, you have to-"

"Shh, it's okay, I believe you." He gently hugged you. "You say there are cracks, there are cracks. We'll look into it tomorrow okay?"

He tries to take your hand, the pressure making you Yelp. It was the final straw before the tears started falling. Camilo panics, trying to coax you into letting him examine your hand.

"Hermosa, let me see..." You only shake your head and burrow yourself back into his chest. The male sighs, bringing you over to the kitchen, where Mirabel and her mother stood.

"but mama!"
"I know, I know,"

Camilo awkwardly interjects. They stare at him as he effortlessly carries you up to the counter like a child.

"Let me see your palm y/n." you don't look him in the eye, only hiding it further.

"what happened?" Julieta presents you with an arepa, mirabel trailing behind her looking miserable. You gingerly take the treat from her, sighing as you felt the wound close up. As a child you can't remember the last time you had gotten hurt, if at all.

"You saw it too, right y/n?" mirabel's voice is hopeful. You only nod. "You see? I wasn't lying!"

The male beside you carefully tries again to hold your fingers, and this time you let him. Camilo presses a soft kiss to the previously wounded area.

"Ah, Hermosa, what to do?" He covers his face with your hand. "Do you know how worried I was?"

"I'm, I'm sorry..."

Mirabel and Julieta watches the two of you for a moment before moving out of the kitchen. The two of you stay like that for a small moment. Camilo is toying with your fingers while you run your hand through his hair. Every now and then he'll grunt when you hit a knot.

"Do you want me to walk you home?" You nod, before he looks up at you. Camilo gently lets you down. "Tomorrow, we'll find out what happened to the cracks. I promise."

His words meant more to you than he might ever know, and that made you smile. The universe really can't give you a break can it? Not to mention how great the date went before... Everything.

"Is it another date Hermosa?" Camilo offers you a lopsided grin. The utter happiness inside you is enough for the tears to start forming again. "y/n? Hey what's wrong-"

"I love you." The sudden confession has him at a loss for words. He's processing what you just said, before sighing.

"not yet Hermosa," Camilo presses a kiss to your forehead. You don't know what he means by that, but he offers you his hand like before.

The walk to your house was quiet. Your brows were knitted as you analyzed your previous conversation with Camilo. Did he reject you? There's a painful pang in your heart. He kissed me though...

"Hermosa? We're here." You blink. He's brought you all the way to your door. His eyes are still slightly concerned as you looked up at him. You can't seem to help yourself as you engulf him in another embrace.

"hey, heromosa," Camilo cooed, almost as if he was handling a child. "I'll see you again tomorrow okay? Don't worry."

You don't reply, only holding him tighter. His hands reach up to make you face him, and you're pleasantly surprised to have him kiss the tip of your nose.

"Good night Mi amor," his voice still sounds in your ear even as you tuck yourself to sleep.