A Future More Grotesque Than The Last- XXV

"What do you mean by that?" Mirabel pressed. Bruno didn't reply, getting up from his chair and pacing agitatedly. His fingers jittered as he hurriedly picked up the broken tablet.

"It, it means," He looked on edge, voice apprehensive. The man sounded like he wanted to be wrong, despite the hard evidence in his hands. "The prophecy has, its different... but-"

Your eyes widen as he pulled out an even duller piece. Mirabel too curiously leaned over while Bruno panicked even more.

"Its changed, but it, but it hasn't!" His conclusion didn't seem completely untrue. It definitely still shone, just not as much as the other vision of the future you had seen.

"Well maybe its changed for the better?" Mirabel hopefully piped up. "There's only one way to know! We need a new prophecy!"

Immediately Bruno shook his head frantically, sinking into his seat, his hands flying to articulate his distaste. You couldn't blame him. With the amount of people who blamed him for their misfortune, he must not want to relive the hate.

"Oh, no no no no no no i dont do that anymore-"

"But its our only chance!" The girl insisted while her uncle shooed her away with a broom. "Y/n, give me a hand!"

You took small steps towards them, putting your thumbs up for support. A big part of you knew just how valuable Bruno's help would be, but you also weren't a big fan to force people to do what you wanted.

"uh it would, help, help us a lot?" You pipe up quietly, voice nearly drowned by the chatter of rats. Mirabel sighed and whacked the broom from Bruno's hold.

"We kept you from being discovered so you owe us." Her stare pointedly sending the man a sense of responsibility. This girl is surprisingly good at blackmail. Bruno groaned.

"But, but you destroyed my Prophecy room!" He moved his arm up in the direction you thought his room was in. "Plus, plus i need... I need a big space-"

"You can come stay in my room!" A new person spoke up, happy tone breaking the tense atmosphere. You see Antonio from behind Bruno's figure and he smiles. "The rats told me everything... Dont eat that!"

The boy reprimands the tiger that entered with him. Theres a small whimper that leaves its mouth and it hangs its head like a scolded child.

"Then what are we waiting for!" Mirabels thanks her little cousin while you do the same.

"y/n," He suddenly tugs you down to whisper. Antonio looks around, as if the information he spoke you to you now was top secret. "I think big brother Camilo likes you... He was talking to Mr Bird about... a lot of things like 'y/ns hair smells nice' or 'i wonder what im going to call her today'"

The sudden confession makes your cheeks flush. Well, you guessed he must've at least liked you, especially since the two of you has kissed, more that once even. But it felt gratifying all the same to be told to your face.

"Dont, dont tell him," You playfully chuckle while the boy leans in to hear with the soft way you spoke. "But maybe i have a crush on Camilo too."

Antonio stiffens up, eyes wide.

"Woah!"

"Y/n, antonio!" Mirabel calls. The boy grabs your hand, following where her voice came from.

No matter how many times youve seen it, the madrigal's rooms are never short of magical. Even mirabel's looked clattered and filled with all sorts of little gimmicks. Yours was really only a bed and wardrobe with a desk that had various books and items stacked precariously atop it.

The little boy led you, Bruno and Mirabel into a flattened surface, and you remember it to be where you and Camilo had danced.

"Here we are!" Antonio proudly presents.

"Its, its not bad..." The man starts. "But I need, need sand?"

"Oh! Over there Tio Bruno!" He points at the edge, where just as he said was a sandpit.

it took awhile to get ready. To be honest it didn't seem worth it. A lot of preparation, and as you look into the future, people dont even appreciate the effort. If you had Bruno's gift, you wouldn't bother with requests anymore.

"Ah, i haven't done this in awhile... almost miss it, heh." You look at your handiwork, and though you didn't wanna say anything it looked like you were trying to summon a devil of some sorts.

"fair warning, I don't control what i see." Bruno says this seriously, Mirabel and you both nodding solemnly. "Okay, lets start."

The sand whirls around the three off you, Antonio choosing to stay out of the tight circle. Mirabel had taken measures to put a blindfold over his eyes, in case anything particularly graphic had shown itself. A capybara was seated in the midst of everything, not seeming to care as the sand flew around, forming glowing green figures.

"I, I don't, I don't understand-" Bruno mutters distractedly. His hands shake, eyes shining as he watched Casita's downfall for the second time. "Its, its exactly the same!"

"Maybe something else will happen!" Mirabel yelled through the harsh and blowing wind. What unfolded in front of you made you wish she was horribly wrong.

You wince as Felix pulls Antonio from a faling painting, the breaking cracks growing and looking like thriving vines that covered Casita. The scenes started to speed up, blurring into each other in a sense that you could no longer understand what was happening.

Both Mirabel and Bruno stared, fixated at what would come to happen. And slowly, figures took shape in the blizzard of green. A tall, handsome boy with cruel eyes. He held in his hands a knife. It suddenly closes in on the madrigals, wounded and out cold. There's a chill in your stomach as you make out Camilo being punched as he fought against his binds.

The last of hope from Mirabels face absolutely disappeared without a trace. Bruno looked horrified for having predicted an even worse future.

And as if things could not show a more grotesque scene, it flickered to portray you, strapped forcefully to a table. The fear evident in your eyes as you tiredly struggled. The tall man you saw earlier wielded a wicked grin, raising the dagger he held above his head. And just as he stroke down, the image disintegrated, bits and pieces of sand forming a bright green tablet that fell, eveyone too in shock to catch it.

Just like that it had shattered hard against the floor.