Chapter 48: Becoming a Commoner (1)

***Solaris's Viewpoint***

"So you're a mercenary, Sir Xander?" He balked then chuckled.

"Yes, I guess you could say that. So, do you accept my proposal?"

"I don't know, I thought I could just set up a bakery somewhere. Being a mercenary like you is super dangerous and I can't stand the stench of blood."

"I understand your intentions Miss Zena, but you need an official permit from Baron Tournesol to do that. I'll get you an appointment with him so please wait for further updates. Here, you need to fill out this form if you want to settle down here." He handed me a paper.

"Thank you Sir Xander!" I beamed out a smile that I saw him widen his eyes.

"Why do you smile to people easily? Aren't you a noble?" He asked in wonder.

"Oh... wait, how do you know that?! I mean, I'm a commoner..!"

"No you don't, you look like a sheltered noble lady to me."

"Is that so? I have no idea." I replied ineptly. "Well then Sir Xander, I'll take my leave." I waved my hands goodbye and exited the premises. I skipped on my way to the said inn and a girl around my age with black hair and eyes and also a tanned skin welcomed me warmly.

She's still too young, why is she working? Moreover, this 'inn' seems like a brothel to me seeing the women here wearing revealing clothes and all the guests are composed of drunk men.

"Welcome dear guest to Auberge de Matin!" She cheerily greeted.

"Hello miss, is there any available rooms here?" She got flustered all of a sudden.

"Please don't address me as 'miss'..! Uhmm... I'll guide you to the reception desk..!" She stammered and grabbed my hand. A woman in her middle thirties with the same features of the female attendant looked at us indifferently. "Mother, I brought a guest..!"

"Oh Edna, good job. You've become useful for once!" I gritted my teeth hearing the woman mock her own daughter.

You disgraceful-- calm down, me. She's not worth your time so hold it in.

"T-Thank you mother..." She replied in a gloomy tone and lowered her head.

"Madame, I want a room worth paying for a krona!" I showed a toothy grin and she grinned back at me.

"Of course Miss, I'll guide you there."

"And also, can I take your daughter in as my maid? I'll pay her handsomely, I just wanna have someone to chat with. Can I do that?"

"Certainly, right Edna?" She glanced at her daughter and the latter silently shrieked. She then nodded her head vigorously and looked at me.

"I'm looking forward to working with you miss!" She exclaimed with a forced smile that I pitied her. I ruffled her hair and placed two gold coins on the table.

"Here Madame, the payment for my room and for your daughter's company." I flashed a business smile and she did the same. "Miss Edna can guide me there in your stead."

We then went upstairs through the creaking wooden stairs and passed many rooms through the hall. I heard several shouts, moans and laughs from inside the rooms that I slightly shuddered. She stopped at a well-carved oaken door with a silver knob.

"Here we are Miss, is that your only luggage?" She asked with a tilted head that I looked down on my bag.

"Yep! You can call me Zena instead of Miss."

"Is that okay? You're my master now."

"It's fine, we're friends already!"

"But a master and a servant can't be so far as friends..! It's an undeniable fact here in Tournesol..!"

"I just told your mother about you being my servant so you won't be serving those 'guests' of yours. I know they mistreat you physically so don't worry too much! From now on, you'll only be under my protection. I could teach you self-defense whenever you want!"

"Thank you Mi-- I mean Zena..!" Tears started to roll down her cheeks so I hugged her. "Mi-- Z-Zena..!"

"Shh, it's alright... no one will dare hurt you either physically or verbally ever again..." I murmured as I rubbed her back. "Let it all out Edna, I know you've suffered a lot..."

Her situation is a little similar to mine in my previous life...

Someone loudly knocked the door that we let go of each other in a hurry. She started shivering and her hands kept trembling.

"Who is it?" I asked in a monotone voice.

"Just open the f*cking door first, you bitch! How dare you snatch the girl from me! Do you have any idea who I am?!"

"Nope, that's why I asked you idiot." I shrugged.

"You'll regret saying that when I wreck this door down."

Is he freaking serious?!

"Stop or I'll make you pay for the damages!!"

"Hah, that doesn't concern me. Give me that girl and I'll let you off quietly."

"No!" I sternly refused. "If you dare mess with me, Edna or my room, I'll beat you so much that you won't be able to walk again. So why don't you leave us alone?" I heard him laugh his ass off.

"I saw you earlier when you came in and I just gotta say, you look too beautiful to be beaten up. Why don't you surrender yourself to me? I might even spare your life if you beg me enough!" He proudly retorted that a vein popped on my forehead.

How dare he?!

"Z-Zena, I'll go." Edna meekly stated.

"No, I'll take care of this. I'm already involved in this matter anyway so let's just finish this."

"O-Okay..."

I opened the door and a man in his twenties with green hair and black eyes glowered at me. He crossed his arms and seemingly mocked me in his head.

"Now we're talking!"

"Hey you, Weed guy!!"

"W-Weed?!"

"Yes. Why don't you f*ck off, you asshole?" He pointed a rapier at my neck and smirked but I just stepped closer. The weapon shallowly cut my neck and it bled a little. He widened his eyes at my actions and pulled away his weapon.

"Y-You..! Why didn't you scream or back off?"