16.

"Congratulations on that hernia repair. I heard you did it all by yourself."

Jimin looked up from his notes and spotted Dr. Nakamoto. He had this sweet smile on his face and it made Jimin all tingly.

"Thank you Dr. Nakamoto. You're pretty impressive yourself. I heard about the infant's arm repair."

"Well, I barely assisted. It was mainly Dr. Kim Seokjin."

"Still. Working with adults is already hard enough. I can't imagine working with little humans."

"Maybe you could come work with me before your intern year is over. I think you'd be good with peds."

"How do you know that?" He asked, raising his eyebrows.

"I can just tell. You have warm brown eyes and a welcoming smile. Not to mention your voice is very soothing."

Jimin's face turned a light pink and he cleared his throat. He was rarely told things like these so it caught him off guard.

"Thank you sir."

"Well, that's actually part of why I'm here."

"Yeah?" Jimin wondered, confused. It was both intimidating and exciting to talk to such a talented surgeon. It was never not nerve wrecking.

"I don't know if Yoongi has mentioned the annual surgeon dinner we have."

"Uhh...no. I don't think he has."

"Ahh. Typical Yoongi. He's always forgetting things. Anyways, we have this dinner every August 1st. It's a treat from the chief of surgery. I'm always down for free food," he laughed as he scratched the back of his head.

Almost like he was nervous. But how could he when Jimin was not even close to his experience? He was basically a nobody here.

"I was wondering if you'd like to come with me. As residents we get to invite an intern. I don't know if Yoongi was going to ask you but..."

"You want me to go with you?" He whispered quietly.

"Yeah. My intern Vernon has already been asked. I don't want you to think you're a second option or anything like that! I just...think about it. We still have a few weeks."

"Oh. Okay. I'll—I'll think about it. Thank you for taking me into consideration."

"Sure." He responded with a grin.

"Dr. Nakamoto?" Vernon asked, coming behind him.

"Ahh. Ready for rounds?"

"Yes sir."

"Alright. See you later Jimin."

Vernon quickly glanced at Jimin who was left behind a blushing mess.

•••

"Another Coke?" Taeyong asked.

"Yes please."

Taeyong walked away to get him his drink. Jimin sighed, rubbing his temples. He knew all this caffeine wasn't good for him, but even with the ridiculous amount he had consumed he would still be able to sleep.

Being awake for forty-eight hours was not healthy. And yet, when he was over his shift he decided to come to the bar and drink Coke instead of going home.

His two friends had gotten held up with their residents. Jimin didn't really mind being alone here. He could definitely use it to process what Namjoon told him before leaving.

"He's not lying. His husband is actually dead. He died in a tragic accident due to heart complications."

Was that why Yoongi had given up his dream as a cardiothoracic surgeon? Was that why he prevented him from kissing him?