12

Yelling. Silence. Yelling. Silence. 

My elbows were pressed against the kitchen table as my chin rested on my hands. Kingston's dad had shown up, looking pissed. He demanded that Kingston go and talk to him at that exact moment, so Kingston annoyedly left his plate of breakfast and went with him.

I tried to give his dad a small smile and wave when he came in, but he completely ignored me. He was clearly pissed about something, but Kingston clearly didn't care.

I heard the front door slam shut, followed by Kingston entering the kitchen shortly after and sitting back at the table. I asked him, "What happened?"

"I burned a bridge with a wealthy family by killing both of their sons," he shrugged as if his sentence was casual. "So he wants me to host a party to please the other families I do business with."

"Why did you kill their sons?"

"They were talking badly about something important to me."

My plate was empty now. Kingston had cooked our breakfast this morning, and I grabbed one of my iced coffees out of the fridge. He resumed eating again, and I asked, "So, are you going to host the party?"

"I guess," he shrugged. "My dad's a little mad about the reputation I've caused our family since I've taken over, but I've grown our assets more than he did in his 40 years of running it, so he stays out of it for the most part."

"Am I going to start helping you run it?" I asked. "Or am I going to go anything for work?"

"Do you want to work?"

"Depends on what it is."

He set his food down, leaning back in his chair. He told me, "Sienna, I have hundreds of millions of dollars. I could give you anything you could ever want in life. You never need to work a single day, unless you really want to. I could get you a job at one of my bars or casinos or a job somewhere else if you wish. But you never need to work."

His words surprised me. I took them in as Milo entered the kitchen and spoke to Kingston, "I've got the place rented for tonight."

"Thanks, Milo," Kingston replied between bites of his food.

My eyes widened slightly, "Wait, you're throwing the party tonight?"

"Mhm."

"Isn't that sort of short notice? Will people even be able to come?"

He shrugged, "I don't really care who shows up, it's just to get my dad off my dick. Hey, we should match outfits tonight. I was thinking blue?"

"What makes you think I'm going?" I leaned forward on my elbows. "Maybe I wanted to stay home and watch paint dry."

He moved his eyes from his plate to meet mine. His eyebrows raised as he spoke, "Because the way you've been looking at me ever since we kissed tells me something has awoken in your heart."

I paused for a moment. He continued, "Your cold exterior is melting, Sienna."

He stood up, grabbed both of our plates, and walked over to the dishwasher with them. Butterflies filled my stomach again thinking about our kiss last night, and how we fell asleep.

"Why is Milo still up watching a sad movie by himself?" I asked Kingston once we were out of view from the living room. "You should go and check on him, make sure he's okay."

"Nah, he's fine."

I rolled my eyes, "You should be more compassionate."

"Then why don't you go check on him, Miss Compassionate?"