38

I stared up at the club, nearly in awe.

The building itself looked like it cost millions. It was large, sleek, and black. The front yard with a water fountain and statues looked like it was at least worth $500,000. If not more.

The door was only slightly open, but you could still hear the loud music playing and see flashes of lights. The line to get it went around the block, drunk people all standing and talking to their friends. A Saturday night in Detroit was the best time to open a club.

Kingston squeezed my hand, sensing my discomfort. He reassured me, "Don't be nervous. Just one photograph, and you'll be back at home where you're safe."

I forced myself to take a deep breath and nod.

"Do you think that's him?"

"Oh my god, I hope that's his sister."

"I'm literally pregnant right now just by looking at him."

I sunk in my own skin hearing the people around us talk. But I wasn't surprised; this was what I was expecting. 

I lifted my dress up as we walked up the steps, my heels clicking against them. The bouncer bowed his head at us as if we were royalty, "Mr. and Mrs. Ash, I hope you have a wonderful night. And congratulations on it being your grand opening."

"Thank you, Tony," Kingston responded to the man before we stepped foot in the club.

Neon lights flashed and lit up the floor beneath us. The music shook the floor and walls, it being so loud that you could feel it in your core. But despite the flashing lights, it was hard to see. I couldn't recognize anybody as I held onto Kingstons' arm a little tighter.

He leaned down to my ear and whispered, "Don't worry, we're just giving the paparazzi some time to show up outside. Milo is already around here somewhere to drive you home after."

I nodded my head, the lights glowing down onto his face.

"I hope you know how amazing you look tonight," he smiles down at me.

A worker holds out a tray of shots for us before I can respond, the worker clearly trying to give us their first priority. Kingston moves his hand in a dismissive motion, telling her that he doesn't want one.

She takes a step to walk away when I grab one off of the tray, throwing the burning vodka down my throat. I set the now empty shot glass back down on the tray, making a face of disgust as the alcohol taste still lingers.

She walks away, and I notice Kingston is looking at me with raised eyebrows.

"What? Never seen somebody take a shot before?" I asked casually, making him shrug.

"I have. Just not you."

"Well, I was hoping that it would ease my nerves," I replied over the music. "But it didn't."

"Perhaps a trip to France would?" he smiled, making me smile and shake my head.

I took a step closer to him so that I didn't have to yell as loud for him to be able to hear me, "I told you, once this shit is all over, we'll talk about it."

"Promise?" he held his pinky up.

A laugh escaped my lips. I linked my pinky around his, "Promise."

Mac comes up from behind Kingston and whispered something in his ear, making Kingston nod his head.

"The paparazzi are here."

I take a deep breath. I adjust my dress and hair, wanting to look my best so that I don't embarrass him. As I'm moving my hair, he grabs my hands to stop me.