17

I sat on the bathroom counter, painting my nails white. The chemical smell burned my nose, but I didn't let that distract me. I blew on them once they were done before doing a clear coat, and I turned on the bathroom fan after.

Kingston left early in the morning to go and 'deal' with the man. His parent's dinner party is in about an hour, and I painted my nails so that they would match my white dress.

I changed out of my comfortable clothing into my dress, staring at myself in the mirror. 

My hair was wavy. How Kingston likes it.

The doorknob behind me turned open, followed by Kingston entering the room.

I stared at him through the mirror before turning around, looking him up and down. He had no blood on his clothing, and his face was emotionless. I couldn't tell if he found him, or if he didn't.

"What happened?" I asked him as he closed the gap between us.

I started up at him, waiting for a response. 

He suddenly pulled me into his chest, my eyes widening in surprise. He held me tightly, and it made me wonder what was wrong. One of his hands went to the back of my hair, and his other wrapped around my midback.

He nearly whispered, "I'm sorry, Sienna."

"For what?" I asked, my arms wrapping around his torso.

"I didn't find him."

His arm around me tightened as he said that. My hand rubbed up and down his muscular back while I replied, "That's not your fault. It's okay."

"It's not okay," I could feel him speaking through a clenched jaw. "Somebody is still out there alive who wants to hurt you."

I pulled away from the hug and put both of my hands on the sides of his face. I looked up at him, "You'll find him, okay? And until then, I'll always be with you."

My words flowed out of my mouth as if they were coming from my heart and not my brain.

"You'll never try to leave me?" he whispered, something shifting in my heart.

I've never seen him look this way before. He looked vulnerable.

I shook my head, "I won't leave you."

A smile slowly spread across his face. He kissed my forehead, my heart warming in my chest. As he pulled away, he told me, "You look beautiful."

I could feel heat rush to my cheeks. I knew he could probably see me blushing, but he didn't say anything. He asked me, "Are you ready to go?"

I took a deep breath and nodded my head. He intertwined his fingers with mine, holding my hand as we exited the room. 

The ride to his parent's house was short, but I tapped my knee anxiously. I found myself wanting them to like me.

We pulled into the driveway of a house almost as big as Kingston's. The yard was breathtaking, with a fountain in the middle and statues and bushes around the bright green yard. 

As I stepped outside, my nerves really started to kick in.

Kingston put his hand on my lower back and told me, "Don't be nervous."

"Wow, thanks. I'm totally not nervous now," I replied sarcastically, a small smile forming on his face.

We walked towards the front door, and I tried my best to look confident. Kingston knocked on the door three times, keeping his hand on my lower back.

A few moments later, the door swung open. His mom smiled at us, "Sienna! Kingston! So great to see you both. Come on in."

We stepped inside, and it looked just as elegant as the outside. Everything was sleek and new, and it was clear that this was a multimillion-dollar house. I was coming into this wanting to leave our bad altercation in the past.