Chapter 33

I smirked at Bella as she gaped at me "You might wanna close your mouth, you'll catch flies" I said amused. Or bats...you get it?... Bats?

Bella shook her head slightly before walking into the living room and taking a seat.

Once Bella sat down she gave Charlie an unsure smile before giving me a look "Why are you here? I didn't think I would see you before my graduation" she said with a nervous edge to her voice.

I smiled and shrugged casually "We had some business to handle in the area and I thought I would pop in for a visit. What? Didn't you miss me?" I asked teasingly.

Bella sputtered "of course I missed you, I just thought you would call first or something" she said quickly as Charlie looked at her curiously.

I shrugged remorselessly "Normally I would but I wanted it to be a surprise" I said casually as I took a sip of my coffee. Yeah, to the damn Cullen's. Hopefully we can get the business with the wolves over with before any of them catch wind of us.

Charlie snorted "Well you surprised me! You're lucky I didn't shoot you. What were you thinking sneaking in on me like that?" he asked teasingly but there was a worried edge to his voice that told me he was worried about it.

I smirked amusedly "I think I can take you old man, at least when you're walking around in boxers, I don't wanna know the details if your packing heat on you in those" I said suggestively as I gave him a look.

He rolled his eyes and shook his head at me making me laugh before saying "Ohh Charlie do you need to tell us something?"

He pointed a finger at me mock threateningly "you may not live with me anymore but I can still ground you" He grumbled out in good humor.

I laughed and raised my hands in surrender "Fine, Fine keep your secrets" I said as I looked at Bella suggestively.

She was laughing behind her hands as she looked between me and her dad when she heard what I said she lost it and burst out laughing.

I watched from the corner of my eye as Charlie looked at her shocked. I'm sure he hasn't seen her laugh like that in a while.

~~~~~~~

The second Charlie had left for work Bella was pulling me aside "Okay why are you really here? I thought you just sent the Elite guard?" She asked me with a worried look growing on her face.

I rolled my eyes "Calm down, we don't want the Cullen's knowing were here yet. We want to meet with the pack, or the tribal leaders" I told her as I took a seat at the kitchen table.

She had cornered me when I was re-filling my damn coffee.

"Why do you want to meet with the tribal leaders?" Bella asked as she sat down across from me confused.

I shook my head "That is none of your business, when it's done I'll let you know but for now I don't want any possibility of this getting back to the Cullen's" I said with no room for argument in my voice. We do not need them meddling in Volturi affairs...

Bella looked at me with hurt in her eyes "I wouldn't tell them anything!" She said with offense in her voice.

I looked at her doubtfully "Bella, you don't have a great track record with them. It's not that I don't trust you with this, it's more I don't want to put you in that position. It's an unnecessary risk to tell you, once it's done I have no problem with you knowing, because I do trust you. But to risk it for something as flimsy as sentimentality, I can't do that. This isn't some gossip, this is Volturi business" I said with nothing but honesty in my voice.

She seemed to lose momentum as she stared at me with nothing to say for a few moments before blurting out "Wow, you really are the queen huh?"

I snorted "I take my duties seriously, I'm still me but when it comes to the Volturi I don't take risks" I explained with no remorse. I'm not going to apologize for doing my job, I have power and I'm gonna use it to help who I can but most of all, strengthen my mates.

Bella looked at me shocked, I had changed a lot in the last few months.

As she continued to come to grips with the new me I pulled out my purse and grabbed the envelope from inside.

I put it on the table in front of her "I want you to give this to Billy. No one else, just Billy, I'm sure you want to go see Jake today so when you do I want you to give this to him. If he has any questions explain who the Volturi are and that I'm their mate. But nothing else, if he asks make sure he knows we just want to talk, there will be no violence" I said as I pushed the envelope towards her.

She looked at it like it was going to bite her before picking it up with a hesitant nod.

"Okay, but when this is all over me and you are going to have a serious talk" Bella said as she looked down at the envelope with trepidation.

I nodded "That's fine, I'm sure there's plenty to talk about" I said with a shrug as I watched her put the envelope in her jacket for when she left.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Disclaimer: I own nothing but my own original character and plot.