Chapter 74

When the music stopped everyone quieted, turning towards the dias where the Kings and Queen were now standing.

Aro stepped forward and began speaking "Hello my friends, I must thank you all for coming to this gathering. I am sure many of you wish to know why it is we have required your attendance here tonight as it has been many years since we the Volturi have hosted something such as this" he said, poaching for dramatic effect.

"We have asked you all to gather to announce the creation of two new Laws" Aro announced, causing whispers to go through the crowd.

There hadn't been a change to the laws in over 500 years and now they were adding two!? Many were both confused and weary.

"The first law is rather simple, this area of land is henceforth barred from any vampire stepping foot. These lands now belong to the Quilete tribe and should you not be killed by the shifters for entering thier territory you will be answerable to the Volturi" he said, motioning to the circled area on the map that two lower guard members were holding for all to see.

They could see that most did not care about the law, though they were most likely curious about the reason it existed.

~~~~~~~~

The Denali's shared a confused look before looking towards the Cullens for an explanation. While Rosalie explained quietly Irena simmered in growing rage.

How was she to ever get her revenge if she could not go to the wolves territory without signing her life away? How had the wolves bartered the Volturi's protection?!

Irena felt so alone, her mate was dead and left unavenged, Laurant may not have been her true mate but they still shared a great bond, something she had never found before in all her years of life, and now it was gone.

The wolves took it from her, and the Cullens didn't care, her coven did not care, and even her sisters did not care. They felt for her but they believed that he had gone to Kill Bella. She knew it couldn't be true, he had changed, had joined their lifestyle.

And now Kate had found her true mate, she wanted to feel joy for her sister but all she felt was a burning jealousy.

Garret seemed like a kind man, would suit Kate well but why was her sister allowed to have that joy while she is denied it?

And now she stands in a room with the majority of the vampires in the entire world and still she is alone, no mate in sight.

She had been forced to watch several mates come together at this gathering and yet she was forced to be alone, would this be her eternity, always craving someone to love her yet never finding it? She and her sisters were called the succubus's but all they wanted was love.

Irena couldn't bring herself to focus on what Aro was saying until he motioned to two young humans who entered the room, no, not human, something more.

~~~~~~~~~

"Before I can divulge what the second law is I must announce a new discovery of our species. It would seem male vampires can produce children, these children are half vampire half human. Capable of drinking blood and sustaining themselves on a human diet" Aro said, motioning to Maysun and Jennifer who looked uncomfortable at all the eyes that were suddenly on them.

All the vampires in the room had frozen at the King's statement and now they were looking at the two girls in shocked horror and wonder.

Maysun stood in front of her younger sister, trying to shield the younger girl from the vampire's piercing stares.

"Not enough is known about these hybrids so their creation is to be heavily monitored by the Volturi for the next ten years. Should you find yourself wanting to attempt creating a hybrid you will be required to go through the Volturi. Should a hybrid child be conceived accidentally their existence must be reported upon immediate discovery" Caius said, his eyes narrowed with warning on all the vampires in the room.

Some looked uncomfortable or angry, not wishing for their personal affairs to be meddled with.

Aro stepped forward "In ten years time another meeting such as this will be held to discuss our findings and adjust this law depending on the findings. More needs to be discovered about these hybrids and what risk to our secrecy they pose. From the hybrids alive currently there seems to be much room for their capabilities. Some take on more vampire traits than others" Aro explained, the scholar at heart.

Marcus was the one to speak then "From what we can discern the pregnancy will kill the mother, though there is chance to turn the mother after the child is removed if one is to act quickly. We will be finding willing volunteers to take on the pregnancy in the coming years, another reason that any attempts to sire a hybrid must go through Volterra" he said, his voice low but pointed. Surprising quite a few in attendance as they had never heard him speak before.

~~~~~~~~

Bella had been enjoying herself, Jasper had introduced her to some of his old friends, Charlotte seemed nice. Peter did not interact with her much but she could tell she made him hungry so she didn't worry about it.

They had been softly talking while Aro explained about the new treaty with the Quilete tribe. Jasper was filling in Peter about the territories to avoid while her and Charlete discussed their favorite authors.

That was until the moment Aro introduced Hybrids, vampire human hybrids. It was possible for male vampires to have kids.

She had felt her entire body freeze when she realized what this meant for her, she and Jasper had slept together a few times in the past week, most notably the night before. They hadn't once used protection, not thinking this was something they had to worry about.

Bella felt her hand shake as she slowly lifted it to her stomach, she couldn't be...could she?