Chapter 60

Carlisle came to slowly, the first thing he was aware of was a dead bear right next to him which he immediately sank his teeth into before he was even fully conscious of what he was doing, the smell of the blood appealing to his baser instincts.

He was barely aware as he drained the animal dry, once every drop was gone from the animal he finally looked around him.

He was in an unfamiliar forest, but that wasn't what shocked him, no, that was Alice sitting before him on a rock.

She looked nothing like the girl he knew. She was wearing something that normally she would be appalled by, she held herself differently. More assured of herself than she was before.

The biggest change was her eyes. Not their normal gold but a blood red that spoke of recent kills, it wasn't even the color, it was the look in her eyes that was so different. Carlisle could swear she was a completely different person by her eyes alone, she didn't hold the same spirit that Alice had, she seemed darker, bitter, and filled to the brim with hatred.

"Alice?" He asked hesitantly as he stood up.

Alice smirked, a look he had never seen on her face before "yes but no. It's a complicated story that I don't feel like getting into but let's just say I've been enlightened" she said sarcastically.

Carlisle looked around cautiously "Enlightened how?" He asked slowly.

Alice rolled her eyes "That's not important now, what's important was that if I didn't get you out of there you would be dead right now. I saved your life, You would have been dead had I not interfered. I helped you and now you're going to help me, well help us" she said as another woman walked out from the forest.

She looked over Carlisle appraisingly before turning back to Alice "He will do, for now" She said lowly before turning away from him and walking back into the woods out of his sightline.

Carlisle was confused and tried to run but before he could make it a step Alice was in front of him "Where do you think you're going?" she asked darkly before everything went black again and he was sucked under an abyss

~~~~~~~~

"Are you sure about this? They have been kind, but joining the Volturi?" Rosalie asked hesitantly as Jasper stood in the middle of their rooms.

Jasper nodded "I've thought about it, I like it here. I've gained their respect, I have things keeping me here" he explained, he could feel that Rosalie was worried for him and he wanted to comfort her.

"Joining the Volturi is not for life, If I choose to I can always leave but for now, this is the right choice for me" he said soothingly.

Emmet smirked and wagged his eyebrows "No other reasons?" he asked suggestively.

Jasper narrowed his eyes at Emmet while Rosalie smacked his chest lightly, Emmet just laughed. They all knew a big part of this decision was the closeness between Jasper and Bella lately.

Bella had made it clear she wanted to stay with her family and Rosalie knew where Bella went Jasper would go. It was how true mates were, she couldn't judge either of them even if she wasn't happy about it.

Jasper and Bella had been progressing in their relationship lately. Had finally taken that last step from friends to romantically inclined. It was in the beginning stages but it was progressing.

"Are you sure you won't change your mind?" Rosalie asked one last time.

Jasper shook his head "No mam, I want this, but that doesn't mean you have to leave. It just means I'm staying" he said with a pointed look towards Emmet.

Rosalie looked at Jasper unsure "I don't know, they don't seem very respectful of the whole eating animals thing. I know you made the transition but I don't want that. I have a record to keep" she said primly, she had always been proud of the fact she never tasted human blood before.

Emmet snorted but shrugged "I guess if we stayed for a while I wouldn't mind kicking ass every once in a while. We gotta think about it though" he said seriously.

Jasper nodded "That's fair but my decision has been made. I hope you can respect it" he said as he stood up.

Rosalie and Emmet both nodded making Jasper relax slightly before he left to go and speak to the kings.

~~~~~~~~

Lia smiled from her place on Marcus's lap as Jasper entered the throne room.

Aro stepped forward as he put down the book he had been reading "Ah, Mister Whitlock, what can we do for you?" he asked casually.

Jasper looked slightly uncomfortable but he seemed to be standing string, it was obviously a stance of a soldier. "I want to officially request a place in the guard" he said clearly, his back straight and voice evan.

Lia watched as manic glee flashed in Aro's eyes and Jasper definitely felt it if the slight widening of his eyes was any indication.

Aro clasped his hands together excitedly while Caius rolled his eyes and shared a commiserating look with Marcus.

"We would be glad to accept you into the guard, Now, where to place you. Normally a new recruit would join the Lower guard and work their way up but your reputation in well known and you have even impressed some of the royal guard with your skills in training" Aro said, drawing it out to be dramatic as always.

Caius loudly scoffed "Brother stop the dramatics, Give him a place in the higher guard, he has been doing a proper job training our newborn recruits. I see no reason he can not continue that for the foreseeable future" He said dismissively making Aro glare at him.

Marcus seeing the look gave Aro a pointed stare "Mr.Whitlock here will be family soon brother, he should be able to know us frankly. He would be able to feel your eccentricities regardless" he said, holding back a grin.

Lia couldn't contain the giggle as Marcus politely called Aro crazy to his face, Aro pouted at her in betrayal making Lia laugh louder.

When Lia had finally collected herself she stood up and walked up to a pouting Aro and wrapped her arms around his waist before leaning up and giving his chin a small kiss "there right Aro and you know it" she said teasingly making Aro roll his eyes with a small smile.

Lia turned away from Aro and glanced at jasper who was watching the scene in front of him play out with mild shock.

"I suppose you better get training" she told him suggestively as she pointedly looked at the door.

Jasper probably would have blushed if he were still human as he nodded and quickly exited the throne room only to hear giggles behind the closed door and then the sound of a quiet moan making Jasper use his unnatural speed to get away from the moment between mates. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Yes she is the big bad, if you didn't guess. lol

Disclaimer: I own nothing but my own original characters and plots.