CHAPTER TWELVE

For our Humanities class, we were tasked to create our own piece of poetry. Our professor was kind enough not to rush us into doing this so for now, he only asked us to think of what we want to write about and the title that we want to work on to.

I listed three concepts that I wanted.

Solar Eclipse (When The Sun Meets The Moon)

I love how I immediately thought of this concept when our professor informed us of our task. I see myself as the sun - seen by everyone. But here I am, trying my best not to be seen.

That Rose is Yellow

Then, I thought of him. Jacob Suarez. Wala naman akong ibang panghuhugutan talaga when it comes to love aside from him, the first person I fell in love with.

Dear You,

A message of hope. As a son of a former senator and now governor of our province, hindi na bago sa aking magsalita sa harap ng mga tao delivering a message of hope. In fact, I feel like I should be prepared now that my father is eyeing for the presidency because that is when he will need me the most.

I can't believe how much I summarized my life story by three titles. Now, I'd only have to decide which part of my life shall I uncover.

"Tapos ka na?" Val asked as he plays with his pen.

"Yup. Ikaw ba?" Balik ko ng tanong sa kanya.

"Isa lang naisip ko, eh. Baka nga ito na final ko." He answered.

He didn't cover his paper so I assumed that I can read it. The Truth Behind Lies.

Aaminin ko, I had goosebumps reading his title. I love how he played it and made a strong impact. Kung ako nga naman siya, why would I bother thinking of other titles kung sobrang ganda na ng una kong nilagay?

And it synced in. His title suits me as well. Maybe, even more than how it suits him.

"Ang ganda!" Hindi ko maiwasang purihin siya.

"Maganda rin kaya iyo. Masyadong metaphorical." Balik nito ng puri sa akin. "Naks, metaphorical."

Ever since high school, I'm already a fan of metaphorical titles - hiding my points behind something I can think of.

Funny how I want to make a big deal out of this activity despite it not being a major one. I don't know. Ever since I started writing and loving poems, I feel like finally, there is something I can be committed to. Through poems, I am not hiding.

"Sunflower In The Evening." He uttered. Maybe, it's for his second title.

"Ang ganda ulit ng naisip mo." Puri ko sa kanya. His wordplays and the concepts behind his title sounds interesting when combined together.

"Hindi. Iyo na." I was surprised when he said that. "Feel ko lang, mas bagay siya sa gusto mong isulat doon sa una mong concept."

Sunflower In The Evening... And maybe, I am. I agree. It suits me so well.