Ch 49

Today was the day of the Hunting Festival.

Reyhas wore the choker as he saw me off, but when I told him he could take it off, he shook his head and said he didn't want to.

He offered me a connection artifact with a different function, but I politely declined.

'I've never even taken the location tracking crystal out of the drawer after putting it in there.'

He seemed disappointed, but I pretended not to notice.

Dwayne escorted me to the carriage, and we set off shortly afterwards.

The weather was excellent, and some clouds drifted slowly across the sky.

The Hunting Festival was held today on the border between the Kinston Mountains and the capital.

It wasn't too far from the palace, but it takes quite a while from the temple.

'It's a little behind.'

We entered a curved road after crossing the square, and there were many carriages ahead of us.

Contrary to the Rose Festival that commoners usually enjoy, a Hunting Festival is frequented by a large number of nobles.

We moved slowly and then stopped, and I kept a monotonous expression on my face as I looked out the carriage window that's advancing slowly.

I saw a girl standing with a basket filled with apples and a boy about 5 years old holding the girl's other hand.

The child's face was so innocent as he begged for an apple that my expression unconsciously relaxed.

Soon after, the girl took an apple from the basket; the child took a bite and said yes when she asked if he liked it.

Munch munch, seeing the apple that went into the child's mouth made my mouth water.

"......!"

The child eating the apple suddenly made eye contact with me.

I could see the child calling out to his sister and pointing to the carriage I was in. It'd be surprising, given that it's a white temple carriage.

When I waved my hand, the children rejoiced as if they had seen a celebrity.

Long after that, I turned my attention away from the children. Because the carriage started moving slowly.

And at one point, somebody pushed an apple into the carriage window.

I flinched in surprise as I looked at him.

"...Marquis Lloyd?"

When I opened the window, he reached out with his hand wrapped in a white glove holding out an apple.

In daze, I took it and looked at him.

He was usually dressed as a wealthy young master, but he resembled a perfect nobleman today due to his coat and hat.

Next to him was a horse with a fine brown mane.

"Eat it. It's an expensive apple I bought for 10 francs from the girl selling apples."

I asked with surprised eyes,

"10 francs?"

If you buy an entire basket of apples.

It won't be worth even 2 francs.

In front of me, the very merchant who never does a losing business.

I looked at the sweet-looking apple, then back at him.

His lips curved into a faint smile.

"It's not a high price to pay if it means gaining the Saintess's favor."