Uncertainty Strikes

My feet stay stuck to the floor as the room is suddenly filled with chaos. Hundreds of questions were asked all at the same time, tension immediately filling the room.

Isabela and I share a look of worry before I turn to find Mirabel scared and confused. Seeing her like that made me realize that it was the first time I ever saw such raw emotions on her face. She was too young to deal with this.

Abuela immediately focuses on reassuring the people that the magic was fine, forgetting her granddaughter who tries to escape from the crowd.

Adrenaline shoots through me as I push through the adults blocking my way, trying to keep my eyes on Mirabel. Before I could get any further, Isabela stops me with a firm grip on my wrist. "Y/n where are you going?" Isabela tries to stop me in case I get injured from the commotion.

"Isa, Mirabel isn't okay. I need to get to her. She needs someone, anyone." I say and before I could make her let go, she nods and holds my hand instead.

"I'm coming." She says shortly, but before we could continue after Mirabel, Abuela grabs her by the wrist.

"Isabela, I want you to help calm the people down with Luisa. Show them that your gifts are fine." Abuela says with a commanding voice. It sent shivers down my spine when she turned to look at me. "Your papa and mama are also helping, Isabela."

Isa tightens her grip on my hand and I feel her shake. "But Abuela, Mirabe-"

"Now Isabela." Abuela raises her voice and doesn't budge. She turns to leave, convinced Isabela would listen. As I feel her slowly let go of my hand, I swallow a lump that formed in my throat.

When she completely let go to do as Abuela said, I raced through the crowd looking for Mirabel- not looking back at Isa at all.

I enter the dining room, hoping to find her here since this was the direction she was headed. Panting in exhaustion, I look around everywhere nearby, but she wasn't here. Then I head into the kitchen.

I stay quiet, hoping to hear her somehow. And when I start to lose hope and decide to look somewhere else, I hear soft sobs coming from under the counter.

There I find Camilo and Mirabel hugging, both of them in tears. I feel my heart shatter as I watch them, tears starting to brim my eyes as I approach them gently.

Mirabel slowly looks up at me, tears flowing faster before she lunges into me. I stroke her hair softly and pull Camilo closer with my free hand, both of them burying their faces in my neck as they cry. "I'm here mis amores, I'm here." I coo into their ears repeatedly.

Mirabel tries to speak while crying, and although it was slight gibberish, I understood why she was asking so many questions, wondering why she didn't get a gift like everyone else.

"I wish I had all the answers to your questions amor, I really do." I whisper as I stroke their backs, tears falling from my eyes as their pain exudes out of their little bodies.

It made me happy Camilo could empathize with Mirabel despite being such a goofball, but seeing both of them cry broke something in me. Never in my life did I want to see them in this state.

"I love you both." I whisper. I couldn't bring myself to tell them everything would be alright. Especially after seeing Abuela snap at Isabela; I just wasn't sure anymore.

Their cries slowly faded as I felt their breathing steady against me. I smile sadly, they could at least sleep it off and forget it for the rest of the day, which was a plus.

La Casa Madrigal also started to quiet down after almost an hour, the two kids still in my arms. I wasn't strong enough to carry both of them so I stayed put, as much as I wanted to tuck both of them in their beds.

"Dolores, if the family's looking for the two, we're in the kitchen under the counter," I whisper slightly, hoping I wouldn't wake them. "They're sleeping, so please don't make much noise."

A few minutes after I spoke, I see Isabela, Dolores, and Luisa. "I can tuck Mirabel in and carry her. Luisa, if you could take care of Camilo for me." I ask with a tired smile, my eyes probably puffy from the crying.

Luisa nods sadly and does as I ask. I support Mirabel with both of my arms as I stand up. "Where are the adults?"

"Still trying to calm the town. People are in shock." Isabela whispers, her eyes empty as we walk to the nursery room. She looked so tired, and I wish I could take away her exhaustion.

I turn to her and use one hand to hold her hand tightly. "How are you feeling?" She turns to me, vulnerability radiating out of her. We've never cried in front of one another or shared intimate feelings, so we didn't know how to go about things.

She grips my hand as we climb up the stairs. "I wish things were different." She murmurs then looks at Mirabel. "I feel like things won't be the same from now on."

I couldn't deny it, today would definitely be unforgettable for everyone. Silence engulfed us, and we only broke it when Isabela and I said our good nights to Dolores and Luisa when we separated by the top of the stairs.

When we reach the nursery room, Isabela opens it for me, letting me in first and closing it when she enters. I lean on the bed, supporting Mirabel's head with one hand while the other supports her body. I slowly lay her down, and as I'm about to pull away, she grunts in her sleep and wraps her arms around my neck, not letting go.

"Oh Mira." I whisper as I stroke her hair. "There's no way I could leave you if you hold onto me so tightly."

Unaware of Isa's expression, she looks at the two of you with jealousy. After seeing how Abuela acted tonight, she got scared of the pressure being placed on her shoulders. She wanted you to baby her like that, to whisper sweet words that would comfort her from the unending thoughts she was having. She needed you just as much as Mirabel did.

And although it made her sick that she was thinking such thoughts- that she was being selfish with the baby sister she adored so much, she just wanted you to be the one thing she had all to herself.

———————————————————

A/N: HEY! I just wanted to say that writing this chapter pulled on my heartstrings T^T Baby Camilo and Baby Mirabel comforting each other since they understood each other better was something I wanted to add, especially since they're closer in age.

I wanted the ceremony of Mirabel to be the start of the tension between Isabela and Mira, with you being stuck in the center of it even though the true cause was their personal issues and trauma and how they coped with it.

I'm also planning on releasing another book, still centered on Isa while I'm doing this but I have to plan out the plot first since I only have a general idea. So please look forward to it.

I hope you liked this chapter as much as I did, coz I love pain:'))))

Please vote <3 it motivates me a lot!