Risking Another Goodbye

A/N: Added a slight change in one of the movie scenes, I feel it would be more effective if it had happened, just so Abuela can warm up easier to MC.

It isn't realistic, but since we're in the world of a place with gifts and magic, and where Bruno can break a fucking concrete wall with a bucket on his head as his only protection using his noodle body, then hey, the scene I wrote is nothing compared to it.

-

On the corner of your eye, you see Abuela scanning the surroundings in both shock and horror. Although the cracks on the concrete floor were unfortunate with how hard people would have to work to repair it, you found the plants growing from underneath them like pockets of small miracles. It could be viewed as the good in every bad thing that could happen.

Just about to turn away, you laugh as Mariano gets socked in the face by a flower bud rooted in one of the cracks.

Two time's the charm, right? A third time would be even more hilarious to be quite honest.

Like a spell had been cast, everyone seemed to be enthralled at the same thing, staring and drawn by the roof of Casita like anything could possibly be entertaining up there.

Deciding to ignore it for the second, yet being forced to turn the same way by Aina, your eyes slightly widen at the sight of an enchantress dancing atop the roof, along with her little sister who she once upon a time hated. Her usual purple-layered dress was covered in a variety of colors.

The world seemed to regain color as you watched her, happy. Genuinely happy and finally herself. Her eyes were twinkling, lips upturned and gleaming—like she finally chose to let go of all her inhibitions and broke free.

Yet despite it all, your entire being seemed to stay monochrome as everyone lived merrily with their lives full of color.

You couldn't pull yourself away from looking at the sun, even when it burned too brightly.

She was the sun, and you were the moon; you never had your own source of light in you. You could only shine because of her. You only knew how to reflect the light she illuminated you with, and maybe that's why you couldn't turn away from her. Maybe that's why being loved by her felt so addicting—because you couldn't handle being left in the dark all by yourself. Not when you already knew the feeling of being basked by her sunlight.

The love you shared has always been golden. Golden like the sun she is, and golden like the little specks in her eyes that shined now more than ever before, even if you only saw her a mile away from where you were.

This was all you wanted, for her to finally be happy. But right now, you didn't want to see it.

You always knew Isabela could live independently from you. But you were the complete opposite, the only thing you knew you could do since you broke up was wait for her.

Part of you finally wanted to fix that, but where would you even start? You've had her since day one and now suddenly she's gone.

You get snapped out of your thoughts as you see Abuela -who was, as everyone knew, quite ancient- make a beeline toward Casita.

It was just like yesterday when they were practically shimmying with Mariano on the walk to Casita the night of the proposal dinner. Now she was running like a star track athlete. How the tables have indeed turned. You guess that's the gift Abuela had secretly gotten and kept hidden from everyone.

Come on, how could she possibly move like that at her age?

Running after her, you quickly stop in front of her, spreading your arms and forcing her to stop as you act like some kind of unbreakable wall. "Wait, Abuela! I just heard that... everyone inhaled poisonous smoke from the exotic plants that just sprouted! We should... get to them."