Heart Screaming Your Name

A/N: I have risen from the dead. I got tattoos, pierced my ears, confessed to the girl I liked, got rejected, and now... well I'm back to write HAHAHAHAHAHAHA SIIIIIIIGGGGGHHH liking women is so difficult.

Lmk if y'all find any grammatical errors. It's 5:30 am. I'm sleepy as fuck.

-

The night soon welcomed everyone, a gentle breeze being the only calming existence amidst the still-ongoing search for Mirabel. Your family had invited the Madrigals to stay in your home, never forgetting that they first welcomed you into the Encanto.

Panic was still running amuck everywhere, in every home and family. Without the magic protecting them, how could one simply sit still in such a secluded area to begin with? How there could be so many dangers approaching just by the borders.

And thus, it only made people more hesitant to search for the missing teenager. All, except the Madrigals themselves.

All anyone else could do was whisper a prayer, hoping it could save them and make a new kind of miracle. How astounding it was to you, that as soon as they had no use of the Madrigals, they would be tossed away to fend for themselves. How utterly human of them. And despite being called humanity, people were the most inhumane beings to live.

The adults were currently out, shifting with the cousins in search of Mirabel. There you were, serving food for them despite none of you having an appetite, not when Mirabel was still out there. It would always feel incomplete no matter who was gone in your group, but this was the first time it had ever gotten into such a serious situation.

"This is all my fault," Dolores whispers, clutching her ears tightly in her fist. "If I hadn't ruined that dinner... if I wasn't so selfish all the time-"

"It's okay to be selfish every once in a while-" You whisper back, trying to comfort her until she turns away and shakes her head harshly.

"I kept telling myself it was to help you and Isabela; repeatedly convincing myself that it was for your happiness, not mine." She laughs mockingly despite the tears springing in her eyes as she turns to her prima. "You were right. I should've listened to you and kept my promise to put our family first."

As soon as a single tear escapes Dolores's eye, Isabela moves closer to wipe it. "No, it's my fault. I'm the one who hasn't been treating her right. I should've stood up for her as her older sister. I should've treated her better."

You sigh gently as you watch them. "Now's not the time for this. Each person played a role that led to this outcome, and now everyone has a responsibility to make things right, together." Handing them their utensils, you push their plates closer to them. "For now, we eat. We're gonna need strength to continue the search."

"She'll be alright... right?" Antonio whispers with worry in his voice, eyebrows furrowed with concern.

"Of course bebé. I'm sure she just needs some time to process everything that happened, alone." You whisper back as you gently pat the top of his head.

As soon as you finish consuming your dinner, everyone except Toñito goes out once again to search, leaving the child to rest with his mamá.

"We should split up, just so we can cover more ground," Luisa suggests, eyes scanning the Encanto and feeling assured that everyone is still protected.

"You two have some stuff to talk about, don't you? The three of us can protect each other." Dolores adds.

"I..." You start, unable to think of a single reason why that wouldn't be a good idea. But only one reason stood out; you knew you would come crawling back to her despite all the uncertainties still to come.

You had tried to kill the hope still residing in your heart, knowing that it would be the one thing that could also easily break it. You didn't want to build it up just to end up being disappointed once again.

Feeling your hesitation, your ex-lover is ready to disagree with the idea, until you nod your head silently. "We meet back here in an hour just to check in on each other. Then we continue our search until 9 in the evening. If we still haven't found her, we'll call it a night first." Dolores gives Isabela one last lingering look before you both head in opposite directions.

Silence fills the area, the only sound being your footsteps across the remains of Casita.

"I'm sorry," Isabela whispers, looking at you as you walk, wondering if you even heard her despite not having any distractions around you. "I'm sorry we ended up like this."

You take a deep breath, remembering the way she looked as she danced on the roof with Mirabel. "You looked happy, for the first time in so long. I don't remember the last time you smiled like that."

"What do you mean?"

"Just before the incident. When you grew flowers you've always dreamed of, when you were dancing, singing, and making all sorts of colors, not the typical pinks and purples. Even I couldn't make you smile like that anymore."

"Of course you did! You're the only one who made me happy..."

You shake your head gently, looking into her eyes and falling in love all over again. How easily it would be to forget all the bad that happened, how easily it was to get lost in its beauty. Everything about Isabela was just mesmerizing.

"We're stuck in an endless loop, Isabela. We're lovers only during the good times, and a burden to each other in the bad times."

"That's not true, you've always been my rest, my solace-"

"Because I've let myself be strung along by you. Each fight feels like death. You're both the highs and lows in my life, and it's like going constantly through heaven and hell."

She stops walking, grasping your hands tightly in hers. "I know. I want to make things right. I will this time, I'll fight for you, I swear. So please..."

"I need to know who I am without you Isabela. You could live without me, so easily. But I..." You pause, your breath shaky. "I could never see myself without you, so much so that I'd have rather not continue living. My love for has never quieted, my heart will always be screaming your name."

She shakes her head, eyes desperate, hands shaking. "It just seemed like that, but without you... without you, I wouldn't know what it felt like to be alive. You're every single breath I take."

"Isa, your wounds are starting to heal... But mine are still black and bruised. I'm a rotten flower that needs to be cut off for your continuous growth."

Pulling your hand against her cheek, she makes you cup it in her hand. "We can grow individually without having to grow apart. We can make this work... Please."

Her voice quivers, and it reminds you once again that she has a hold on you that you're unable to free yourself from. Her love is a prison, but also what makes your heart feel like soaring. And how confusing it was to feel all these things at once.

"We need to sort things out with your family first before we could ever dream of going back to one another. I promised that you'd always have me, and that's something that will remain a truth in my heart." You pull away from her touch gently, taking a breath and composing yourself before you start to walk ahead of her. "We need to find the right timing for our love, or it'll endlessly shatter."

-

A/N: my brain isn't braining lol. Again, I wrote this at 5:30 in the morning, bear with me. Hope yall enjoyed it still.