Turning Page

The more time I spent with Isabela, the more I started doubting whether I just saw her as my best friend. I realized that only she can make me feel things that a man is supposed to make me feel.

Whenever I make her smile, my heart feels like it's soaring. When she touches me, it's like my skin's on fire. When I look into her eyes I always find myself falling into them.

But she's my best friend... and we're both girls. Not once have I seen two women getting married in this town, not once have I seen such a couple.

I shouldn't feel this way, what if she finds me disgusting when she finds out? I can't risk it, I can't let myself allow it. I can't ruin the one good thing I have in my life. I can't lose her.

I take a deep breath, trying to stop all these intrusive thoughts. I start making my way to La Casa Madrigal, dressing up for her 17th birthday. She had invited me to sleep over tonight after the quick dinner party, but I was also included in their personal lunch celebration.

Casita guides me to the table outdoors for lunch when I arrive by the door. When I approach them, Mirabel stands up and greets me with a hug.

"Hey, amor. Missed me that much?" I ask with a gentle smile, hugging her back. I find Isabela looking our way with a frown, making me smile.

Mirabel's wearing a smile when she pulls away. "How could I not? Señorita perfecta over there barely lets me touch you when she's around." She murmurs with annoyance. "Sit next to me?" She asks and I nod.

I pass by Isabela's seat, giving her a quick peck on her temple. Thankfully, Abuela wasn't around yet to see it. "Happy birthday mi flor." I whisper against her ear.

"Thank you mariposa." She says with a gentle smile, the annoyance on her face now gone. My seat is right across from Isabela, in between Dolores and Mirabel. At least we were facing one another.

When Abuela walks in, the table becomes silent. She smiles at Isabela, giving her a quick hug and arranging her posture to make her look more elegant.

I stop myself from rolling my eyes since she's right in front of me. "Today marks the day of our perfect Isabela's birth." I scrunch my nose up in disgust, trying not to be obvious as Abuela makes a speech about how she's the perfect golden child and that she's a great help to their miracle and family.

Seeing Isabela's strained smile makes me want to silence Abuela. The fact that Abuela manipulates Isabela into projecting a certain version of her that needs to be 'perfect' makes me want to smack sense into her. She must be blind to not see how pressured Isa feels.

I don't take my eyes off of her throughout lunch, even as I'm talked to by the other family members. I wanted her to know I had her back, no matter what. I just hope my eyes could communicate it to her.

Lunch passes by slowly because of how boring it was. It felt more like a meeting than a celebration if I was being honest.

When everyone gets up to start preparing for the dinner party, I grab Isa's wrist and pull her along. "Where are we going?" She asks as she tries to stop me.

I shoot her a knowing smile. "Somewhere only we know." She opens her mouth to speak, but before she could get a word out, I cut her off. "They can handle the decorations. This is your day Isa, spend it how you want."

I let go of her wrist and turn to face her completely, she looks at me and sighs, clearly torn. "So how would you like to spend it? With me, or with decorating?"

She takes my arm and starts running, making me let out a chuckle. "Let's go before I change my mind." I run alongside her, hand in hand to her favorite flower field.

When we arrive, I pull one of the flowers closer to me and smell it. Isabela plucks one and places it on my hair, matching the one she usually has.

She looks at me in the eyes, making my heart speed up all over again. When I try to step away, I fall over a patch of flowers, tripping and lying on top of them.

Isabela giggles as she looks down at me. "Quite clumsy today huh?" She lays down beside me, resting her head on my arm. The two of us look up at the bright blue sky, clouds filling it up and giving us a bit of shade.

"Ah, look!" I point to our lower left, watching as the clouds moved slowly. "That cloud looks like Dolores' hair." I laugh as it retains the perfect shape.

Isabela laughs along with me and points to the upper left. "And that one looks like a donkey."

I chuckle when Luisa crosses my mind. "I'm sure Luisa would be overjoyed to see it, since dealing with 'the donkeys that got out again' was her thing." I say, imagining the poker face she had whenever she heard that phrase.

Isabela laughs and nudges my stomach with her elbow. "She'd probably throw a rock in the air to destroy its form with how sick she is of donkeys."

I shake my head as I laugh, definitely possible. I point to the middle, "That one looks like you." I say with a teasing smile. It's a cloud shaped in a kind of messy looking flower.

I see her roll her eyes on the corner of my eyes. "That one looks like you." She points at a cloud shaped into a heart. Not gonna lie, I was expecting a cloud shaped into a butterfly.

She turns to me with a smile. "Why a heart? Shouldn't it be a butterfly?" I ask while looking at the sky, not daring to face her as I feel her hot stare.

"Because if I could describe you with a word other than butterfly, it would be love." She says full of seriousness. Too scared to see how she looked as she said that, I close my eyes and wear a smile.

I push back tears that start to form in my eyes, trying to steady my voice before I speak, already knowing it would shake if I let a single word out.

I shouldn't look too far into things or try to read in between the lines. The love she means is friendship, that's all it is. I shouldn't assume or hope. I have no chance, I need to let this go. Go back to just seeing her as a sister or best friend, stop overthinking.

"How very poetic of you Isa." I say with a joking tone when I finally turn to look at her. She was completely serious, looking into my eyes as if she was searching for something.

"You're the only one I can be myself with, the only one who inspires me to try and live life the way I want to. I'm always better when I'm with you. Gracias mariposa." She says as she places a lingering kiss on my cheek before pulling away and maintaining a safe distance between us.

Why do I feel like she was about to tell me something different from what she just said?

———————————————————

A/N: Hey! I'll see if I can release another chapter by today, my hangover's pretty bad since I had a looooot to drink. Also, thank you so much for 600+ reads!

This chapter's pretty short, I apologize 💀

Hope you liked it though! ❤

Please vote <3 it motivates me a lot!