Separate Hearts

A/N: Hi. First of all, I'd like to once again apologize for the wait. Work has been draining, I almost got fired because of my shitty and power-tripping management, then the problems with my family and health... Wow. Truth be told, I'm sick of life. But hey, no one's going to disappear forever until I finish all my books.

This chapter will kind of tackle religious trauma, and the connection of religion to homophobia so, if you become uncomfortable, I apologize.

I wrote off the religion in a Christian/Catholic manner because that's what I'm familiar with. I'm unsure of the legitimate religious practices of Columbians. I just thought that the church in the Encanto looked to be Catholic.

-

At one point in your life, you had always thought you and Isabela shared a single heart, that bled and kept beating for the same purpose: each other.

And it was the only tangible thing either of you had until the world kept testing you over and over again-almost as if it were making sure to create space between you until your hearts were once again separate.

The rift between you only deepened because of Abuela. There was an empty space left, and the only one who could fill it was Isabela.

You take a deep breath, working on a commission of painting a restaurant's walls. The owner was astounded by the art you made of the Madrigal family by the town square and decided to hire you.

Ever since the incident, everything went amiss. No one felt safe, and you didn't either, not just because of the breakup, but because their gifts were going out of control.

You wished you could be there for her, to assure her that things would be alright, even if it felt like their world was crashing down.

You wanted to give her everything, even if she couldn't do the same. Because no matter what, in every alternate universe and lifetime, despite all the hardships-you would choose her in every single one. Because the only thing you knew was that you were meant to love Isabela.

Even if it meant there was no happy ending in every single story the two of you shared.

You haven't spoken a word since the failed proposal. Not to any of the Madrigals, your family, or anyone in town for that matter.

Isolating yourself slowly, you try to give your mind a kind of silence and rest you haven't had in a long time, even if your feelings were currently a whirlwind of emotions-miles away from being in peace.

No matter how many times the other Madrigals tried to persuade you to run after Isabela, you kept your mouth shut and avoided physical contact.

You didn't want to be touched, because your fragility only made you crave it more. To be held so tight, it'd mend your broken pieces back together.

For the first time, you just wanted to stay broken. To not be alright after doing your best and failing after all this time. You wanted the peace that meant it was okay to finally stop trying and fighting the pain swelling in your heart.

Loving Isabela was like the ocean. The natural choice was to keep your head above water in order to breathe. But the more steps you took from shore, the more you seemed to lose your footing as it led you through its limitless realm. You let the water lead you until it fully consumed your entire being.

You didn't mind drowning in the feeling. Because beneath the depths and all the waves crashing that never seemed to calm, there was beauty and peace.

The beauty of life, and the marvels to discover. It was a love that despite drowning, made you feel like you finally had room to breathe somewhere. That it was where you were meant to be.

Isabela was your Atlantis. And no matter how hard you tried to save it, the inevitable couldn't be helped.

Snapping out of your thoughts, only then do you hear voices shouting. "God loves everyone! He does not discriminate! What gives you the right to keep persecuting us?!"

You suck in a breath as you find Aina and Emilia in a heated argument with the church. "God set fire to Sodom and Gomorrah, why? Because of sinners like you! Because of that wicked sexual immorality that provoked His anger!"

Emilia lets out a mocking laugh, taking steps closer with anger flaring through her nostrils. "Get your scriptures right. The sexual immorality had nothing to do with the gender orientation, but with the act of rape in itself."

Just as the church tries to speak, Aina takes a step closer, right next to her fiancé. "He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone." she quotes, before taking another step.

You watch as your father challenges them, arrogance in his stance. "Leviticus 18:22, Do not lie with a man as one lies with a woman; that is detestable."

Emilia takes another step, her hand turning white in her fist. "John 13:34, A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another: just as I have loved you, you also are to love one another."

People start to gather, and you slowly push yourself through the crowd. "If you do not back away, I can't guarantee that things won't get ugly."

Emilia scoffs, only wanting to taunt him more. "What a good example of a churchgoer. I'm pretty sure violence was never the answer in the scriptures." She grasps Aina's hand in her own, assuring her that she would protect her no matter what.

"You insist on making an insult of our faith. Is this how one acts when begging for a marriage ceremony?" With little space left between their bodies, he sneers. "Don't forget that you're the ones who want something from us, you dykes."

You intercept in between them, pushing yourself against Emilia to stop her from landing a blow to his face.

Turning around, you find your father's knowing gaze. "You claim to be followers of Christ... and yet you're the most hypocritic of the bunch! You judge people the quickest, and every time our values don't coincide with your faith, you immediately claim that we're going to hell!"

Your father grabs you harshly by the shoulder, the pain stinging you almost making it go numb instantly. "You keep your mouth shut or else-"

"Or else what? Are you going to hurt her? Kick her out? Of course, for you, abuse and trauma are nothing but a way to stir someone to the so-called right path, isn't it?!" Aina says as she rips his grip off of you before pulling you closer to her.

"You claim to spread the love of Jesus... but when all people are doing is falling in love, you're quick to judge just because it isn't as common as other couples. Jesus accepted everyone, no matter the differences. As his followers, shouldn't you be doing the same...?"

People start to slowly speak up about experiences wherein they were all invalidated by the church, slowly driving them up into a corner until they had no choice but to hide away.

"Thanks for stepping in, if you hadn't, we probably wouldn't have gotten this far," Emilia says as she scratches the back of her neck in embarrassment, almost losing the 1% chance for a successful marriage.

You shake your head, and just as you're about to speak, the ground starts to shake violently, and cracks start spreading from Casita all the way to the town square through the concrete streets.

As you examine the surroundings, only then do you take notice of the beautiful exotic plants that newly bloomed seemingly moments ago. Whatever it was, you only hoped that Isabela was okay.

-

A/N: The church argument was the first step towards a progressive future, just to clarify its relevance. I'm sorry to anyone religious over here if I offended you in any way. This is also written based on personal experience. I have religious trauma.

Also, it's fucking 5:36 am lmao. Send help. Hope y'all enjoyed this short chap. Only kind of a filler.