Love In The Dark

A/N: ⚠️ TW: Implied Homophobia ⚠️

It will only be a quick part. I decided to add a trigger warning in case any of my readers have been through any trauma because of it.

Also, this is the second time I've accidentally pressed the publish button HAHAHA I'm sorry!!

I hope you enjoy this chapter.

———————————————————

The moment I'd been waiting for got snatched from me as I watched her say yes to the man kneeling with his hand holding hers.

I know I took my time trying to figure myself out, I just wanted to make sure I'd be doing the right thing. I wanted to make sure I wouldn't ruin things and instead, make them so much better.

I walk away from the crowd that moves in to congratulate them. "Dolores, I wish you were here with me." I mutter with a weak voice. She probably already knew that he was planning to do this today, that's why she wasn't anywhere near here.

Isabela ends up being busy with Mariano for two whole months, not even giving me time to talk to her. But whenever we ran into each other, I could see in her eyes that she wanted to.

When I was around and she was with him, she'd only look at me the entire time. I know she's being pressured into doing this and I wish I could help... but I can't, if she doesn't want it.

We've never really had a proper conversation about it because we were each other's distractions or escape from the reality of things happening in our lives.

The second I've even come to actually consider liking Isabela, I found out there was a couple here in town that was both women. My father never told me who it was, but he stated that they tried to appeal to the church to let them marry.

I've never seen such anger in his eyes before. He called them names and judged them the entire night as we had dinner. Until now his words still echoed in my mind and never left.

If he found out that his own daughter... I stop my train of thought and let out a sigh. Walking home at night, I check my mail and find that Isabela had sent me a letter. I fight a smile as I take it and run up to my room when I enter the house, not bothering to have dinner while hearing the calls of my mom from downstairs.

I still proceeded to tell her about my days in letters even if she wasn't able to reply. I didn't want her to think I was angry at her. That was far from it, I'm only angry at the situation Abuela was putting her in.

I lock the door and lay on my bed. I take a deep breath and open the envelope slowly to avoid tearing it. I grab all the contents and place them on the bed. Inside were dried petals of our favorite flowers, as well as a quote, an excerpt, and lastly, a poem with her letter.

The scent of the dried flowers filled my nose. I smile as I stroke them, wishing she was here instead.

Reading the quote, this is what it said:

"She was incandescently beautiful and beauty was the least of her."

And she added a little note on the bottom that read: Reading this reminded me of you. Short but beautiful, isn't it?

I feel my heart flutter in my chest, feeling my cheeks heat up. I bite back a smile as I imagine her saying it to me with her soothing voice. Taking the excerpt, I open it and read it next.

"Give me a few days of peace in your
arms— I need it terribly. I'm ragged, worn, exhausted. After that I can face the world."