Nothing Like Us

Isabela's POV:

Camilo barges into my room bringing the ribbons Dolores had asked for. She takes one and starts braiding my hair, making sure it's tidy and kept.

Here we were, Camilo and Dolores in my room. We're getting ready for a day out, bonding between us cousins they said... and yet they were both focusing on making me look pretty.

"Remind me why I have to look extra special today?" I ask as Camilo lets me choose between two dresses that Mirabel had embroidered for me. Which was strangely nice it kind of freaked me out.

"No reason. Don't worry about it." Camilo states before quickly walking away from me, hesitating to blab about what they were actually planning.

Mariano comes across my mind and I visibly shiver at the thought. If they're trying to set me up with Mariano because of Abuela...

I look Dolores in the eye from the mirror in front of us as she grabs flowers I made on the bed. "If this is a cousin bonding day, why aren't Mirabel and Luisa here?"

"Abuela asked them to do something. I asked today to be free for the three of us." She answers perfectly while placing flowers gently in my hair as if it was something she had practiced beforehand.

When I was finally ready, wearing an off-shouldered dress that had beautiful butterfly embroideries and frilly long sleeves, we make our way to Dolores' first agenda for the day.

The dress I chose had beautiful layers, the back of the dress reaching until my ankles, slowing growing shorter in the front where it only reached below my knees. It revealed just the right amount of skin and made me feel quite confident.

Camilo starts to get impatient, growing quite fidgety as we walk. Before I could comment on it, he lets out an overreacted gasp. "Oh, would you look at that!" He points towards our left then wears a mischievous smile.

A similar, but deep gasp is heard from the direction he pointed at. "What a coincidence!" The voice I recognize as Luisa's.

When I turn to look, I find y/n looking just as dumbfounded as me. Oh... they were setting us up... not Mariano and me.

I fight back a blush as I look her up and down, not even trying to hide it. She had just gotten a new haircut and confidence radiated out of her, also wearing a new outfit Mirabel had probably prepared for her too.

"Well! Since we're all here, we should spend this joyous day together!" Dolores says with a voice that was so fake, she was probably just trying to give us a hint.

"Great idea dear cousin!" Mirabel says and pulls y/n closer, Luisa following right after while wearing a humorous smile.

"Let's go!" Camilo says and starts running off. I roll my eyes at them, my soul secretly strangling them one by one as I try to remain composed.

To say I missed her was an understatement... but I just don't know what to say after everything that's happened.

She's asking me to disobey Abuela... to disobey my family to prioritize myself. She says it like it was the easiest thing to do. And I wish I could. I wish I could tell the world how much I loved her.

But now I can't feel anything else but shame for shouting at her, especially because she was just trying to help me.

Then I talk to her on the day of love and friendship as if nothing went wrong... I'm repeatedly leading her on and shattering her heart like a broken record that I can't seem to stop.

And she still chooses to look at me with those gentle eyes of hers, not an ounce of anger or regret held in them. I can't help but avoid your gaze when you look at me with such affection.