Oceans Between You & Me

A/N: I just wanted to say thank you all so much!! I've reached #2 in isabelamadrigal and #1 in isabelaxreader in the rankings!! We've also reached 2k reads!!

Anyway, I hope you enjoy this chapter!! ❤

———————————————————

Ever since that night, Isabela and I have kind of been avoiding each other. And if we were in the presence of the other, awkward tension filled the room. Or maybe it was just me.

To make things worse, Mariano was always giving her these disgusting heart eyes. I'd probably find it cute if he were sending them to Dolores, but no, he didn't.

We also completely stopped sending each other letters and things that remind us of each other. The agreement was letting both of us cool down for a while and yet here we are acting like we just had our biggest fight yet... which was kind of true.

We could barely even maintain proper eye contact when we met. I hoped for things to be normal after a while but I guess I underestimated how awkward and uncomfortable it could be.

It kind of felt like there were oceans between us, and no matter how much we wanted to meet- no matter how far we'd swim, it would be of no use. Just a waste of time and effort.

Today the Madrigals requested for me to join them for dinner. El Dia de Amor y Amistad, which is also known as the Day of Love and Friendship, was coming up. It's celebrated every third Saturday of September where everyone shows their love and affection to people they care about- be it love for friends, couples, or family.

It was a tradition for the two of us to celebrate it together every year. But this is probably the first time that tradition will break its consistent cycle now that she has to entertain Mariano.

The Madrigals wanted everyone to enjoy themselves and asked me for help since every extra pair of hands was welcomed. We were going to discuss our tasks during dinner.

"Hola Casita." I greet with a smile as I enter. I giggle as it shuts and opens the windows to welcome me. As I'm about to head inside the dining room, I almost bump right into Isabela who was just exiting.

I feel my breath hitch in my throat and look away. "Sorry." I whisper and head inside, my head bowed in embarrassment. She nods in acknowledgment and continues walking away.

I fight the urge to turn back and look at her retreating figure, getting seated next to Dolores instead. We've been hanging out more frequently ever since Mariano started courting Isa.

We liked to wail in self-pity together. The more the merrier after all.

As much of a dork Dolores could be, she's still the only person I could talk to about my feelings for Isa. It was the same for her feelings for Mariano, so naturally, we just ended up getting closer than before.

"Hey hermosa, got any gossip for me today?" I ask with a smile as I whisper, hoping the adults won't hear us.

Being with Dolores only became more entertaining when she told me all sorts of things she'd heard in town. Even the way she told the stories was just undeniably funny.

She smirks at me already amused with what she thought of. "Yes, but it's something you won't like, something you'll find out tonight." She started laughing just imagining whatever it was she heard.

My brows meet in confusion as I look at her. "What is it? Just tell me." I say as I prolong each syllable to act cute, leaning my head on her shoulder as I nudge my head affectionately.

She laughs and shakes her head. She wouldn't budge as I tried to convince her. "Nope, I want to see your reaction the moment you find out." I let out a pout as I look at her.

Soon enough Isabela walks back inside, Mariano trailing behind her. I look him up and down, feeling my face already show some sort of sass and annoyance at his appearance. No one told me he would be here tonight.

Isabela looks at Dolores and I's current position, making me become conscious and maintain a bit of distance. "Is that it? That'd he'd be here tonight?" I whisper while covering my mouth with my hand so no one could read my lips.

"Not even close. Besides, you pretend it's nothing but you're already looking like your world came crashing down when he entered." She laughs as she watches my changing expressions. She's enjoying this way too much.

I always fight back insults for Mariano that I think of at the top of my head when it's Dolores I'm talking to. She genuinely liked the guy and had proper reasons for it, I respect that... even though i really want to throw insults at him every second.

"And I'm sure you leaped for joy when you found out he'd been invited tonight." I murmur as I roll my eyes at her with a smile.

She's about to speak when Abuela comes inside and gets seated. She nudges me by the stomach instead, making me almost grunt out loud. I bite it back and take a sip of water before I could start coughing.

Isabela notices and glances at me with worried eyes. I feel my heart flutter as concern floods her face. Ha! She still cares about me more than you Mariano!

I feel a small smile start to form on my face as I take sips of water, trying not to make it too obvious and look like a love-sick idiot.

Chatter filled the room as they assigned everyone to their respective roles for the preparations. As usual, I would be helping tía Julieta in the kitchen.

"Oh, that's right mija, we were wondering if you could sing a few songs on your guitar. You know, on stage at the center of town." Tía Julieta inserts as I swallow my food.

I turn to her in surprise as everyone turns to look at me. "Me?" I ask, pointing to myself in question. The only one who's ever really heard me sing was Isabela.

"Well yes, Isabela kept telling us about how beautiful your voice is and suggested that you be the one to sing this year." She says with a smile.

I turn to Isabela and find her avoiding my gaze, her cheeks tinted slightly pink. She probably didn't think tía would say that.

"We'd also like Mariano to join you." Abuela says with a confident smile. I almost drop my drink when she mentions him. I grip the glass tightly in my hand as I feel my expression get strained.

Dolores squeaks silently, I could see her shaking as she tries to stop laughing. She should be glad the attention was on me and not her. This was probably what she was talking about a while ago.

I turn to find Isabela looking quite surprised at the revelation as well. I smirk when I realize she only wanted to hear me sing that day. Ha! I win again Mariano.

"But, wouldn't it be better if I used my talent in painting instead? I could offer free services." I state, hoping they would just change their mind and take me out of the job to sing with him.

Abuela shakes her head firmly. "No, I think it would be excellent for the two of you to sing. Isabela's girl friend and boy friend sharing the stage and showing unison proves to be perfect for the day of love and friendship."

I almost choke on my drink and spit it out in surprise. She meant friends, friends. Not girlfriend, but girl that's a friend. Not lovers, nope. Everything's fine.

It also seems I have no way out of this now...

———————————————————

A/N: I just wanted to say that I'm not Colombian, so I'm not 100℅ accurate with the things I state about culture/traditions/events.

I just do my best to make sure the book follows a Colombian lifestyle based on what I find on the net.

This chapter's kind of just an intro to the next one lmao.

Please vote <3 it motivates me a lot!